General Information session at Wintec's Rotokauri Campus
With a nationwide shortage of skilled trades people government has invested money into Māori and Pasifika trade training. Wintec have joined a group of Iwi and Pasifika community groups, employers and ITOs to develop programmes that bring together the best support, experience and learning – for FREE.
Students will gain the skills and experiences our community and employers need in small hands-on classes and on real work sites, with dedicated support available. And, when they successfully complete the qualification/course, we'll help them find a job, and upon work placement will be eligible for tool grant.
To Qualify Student needs to be:
- 16 - 40 Years old
- Māori or Pasifika
Māori and Pasifika Trades Training
The aim of the Māori and Pasifika Trades Training initiative is to enable more Māori and Pasifika learners, aged 16-40, to obtain meaningful trades apprenticeships and qualifications. The end goal is that all participants gain skilled and sustainable employment.
Building a future
In 2014, Wintec launched its Māori and Pasifika Trade Training programme in the Waikato. It’s an initiative aimed at helping more Māori and Pasifika people into meaningful jobs, while addressing the nation-wide shortage of skilled trades people. Since then, 150 people have gone into relevant employment after finishing the programme.
- RS1601 Culinary Arts Year 1 (Level 4)
- RS1602 Restaurant & Barista Services (Level 3)
- RS1603 Restaurant & Barista Services (Level 4)
- SX1703 Advanced Horticultural Trades (Level 4) (Arboriculture)*
- RS1702 Hair Design Year One (Level 3)
- CH0501 Certificate in Hairdressing (Level 4)*
- TC1702 Electrical Engineering (Level 3)
- SX1701 General Horticulture (Level 3) (Available at Huntly & Whitianga)*
- SX1702 Applied Horticultural Services (Arboriculture) (Level 3) (Available at Thames)*
- Enrol Online
- Provide evidence of ethnicity ie. Birth certificate, passport or self-identify on the enrolment form
- Applicants will be contacted for interview