Service Industries Pathway
The Service Industries Vocational Pathway provides a wide range of exciting opportunities for young people with great communication and social skills. You’ll be working with people, and for people, and experience lots of variation; from who you’re dealing with to where you’re working. You might work in hospitality, tourism, hair and beauty, retail or sports and recreation. Please see Youth Guarantee for a comprehensive list of vocational opportunities in this Pathway.
Below is a flow chart showing how you might progress through this Vocational Pathway, starting at secondary school level. Click on any bullet-pointed programme for more details.
Year 10, 11 and 12STAR Experiences: Try a quick STAR experience to get an idea of what study and work in this industry will be like...
Online Courses: Take a year-long online course with credits. Maybe work it into your tourism study at school...
Year 11, 12 and 13
Year 1 at WTA/Wintec: Commit to spending a whole school year coming to Wintec one day a week as part of your regular school programme...
Year 12 and 13
Year 2 at WTA/Wintec: Loved WTA? Come back for a second year to narrow down your learning to a particular field...
You've now finished school, what will you do? Start a job or apprenticeship, or come back to Wintec and learn some more...
- Apprenticeship / Employment
- Certificate in Hairdressing (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Business (Administration and Technology) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Business (Administration and Technology) (Level 4)
- Certificate in Hairdressing (Level 4)
- Certificate in Fitness Industry Training (Level 4)
- Certificate in Massage (Level 4)
- Certificate in Outdoor Adventure and Recreation (Level 4)
- Short Course Basic Massage
- Short Course Sport Massage
- Short Course Food Safety for Food Operators
- Diploma in Personal Training (Level 5)
- Diploma in Beauty, Body and Spa Therapies (Level 5)
- Graduate Diploma in Event Management
- New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage Service (level 3) (Restaurant and Barista Services)
- New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage service (level 4) (Restaurant and Bar Supervisory)
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (level 4) (Culinary Arts year 1)
- New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (level 5) (Culinary Arts Year 2)