If you're still at secondary school and are trying to decide on your future career join us for a STAR programme and get a taste of a career before committing to full-time study.
STAR programmes are usually one day, but may be up to five. All of our STAR programmes are aligned with vocational pathways, and some of our programmes also have credits attached.
Please note, you must book through your school. Careers advisors please use the Booking Form to book a place for your students.
All STAR programmes
- Painting and Drawing
- Adventure Based Learning
- Rock Climbing
- Solid Works
- Civil Engineering (with Land Surveying)
- Early Childhood Education
- Intro to Animal Technology
- Prepare & Cook Basic Pastry Dishes
- Food Service Styles and Menus
- Prepare & Cook Basic Pasta
- Food Safety Methods, Hazards & Control
- Barista – 1 Day Taster
- Provide Table Service
- Intro to Cookery
- Intro to Restaurant Service
- Hairdressing Taster
- Interior Design Taster
- Introduction to Manual Patternmaking
- Music Production Workshop
- Short Video Production Taster
- Media Workshop Taster
- Introduction to Illustrator
- Introduction to Photoshop
Information for students
STAR course times
8.45am - 3.00pm
The location of the STAR course will be at either the Rotokauri or City Campus. Your careers advisor will inform you of the location. A member of the STAR team will meet you at one of the locations listed below, where you will be required to complete an Enrolment Form before being escorted to the course venue.
- Rotokauri Campus: Rotokauri Campus (G Block for Trades, L Block for Hospitality, Q Block for Sport, S Block Hub for Animal Care and any other STAR courses that are no listed above)
- City Campus: City Campus Hub – Building with Café, Library and Student Services
Each course will have different clothing requirements. Please check your programme requirements by clicking on the pathway option (above), and then the course for more information.
As STAR Courses are booked through the student’s Secondary School, you must contact the School if you cannot attend. If you become unwell while attending a STAR Course, your school will be contacted
Upon completion of the STAR course, you will be sent an attendance certificate via your school.
There is no parking available at the City Campus.
At the Rotokauri campus STAR students can park in carparks 1 and 2 only. ‘Pay & display’ tickets can be purchased from payment machines located in the car parks. Parking costs 0.50c per hour, capped at $4.00 per day, between 8.00am and 4.00pm weekdays.
Please do not park in the visitor parking as this will incur a Parking Infringement.
The Wintec City campus is a 1min walk form the Hamilton bus depot, therefore all inner city BUSIT routes will be a suitable mode of transport. Go here to find the best route for your address. The Orbiter bus route
runs between the Hamilton City Bus Depot and Wintec Rotokauri Campus.
Food on campus
Food is not provided as part of the STAR experience. However, both the City and Rotokauri campuses have excellent cafés serving a tempting array of hot and cold food and espresso coffee. In the student areas of all our campuses there are microwaves, hot water and snack vending machines.
Students are welcome to bring their own packed lunch.
A PDF version of this information can be found here.