- Doctoral Candidate, Doctor of Health Science, Auckland University of Technology.
- Master of Science in Nursing and Health Administration, University of Phoenix, 2008.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Phoenix, 2005.
- Bachelor of Health Science in Nursing, Auckland Institute of Technology, 1992.
- Diploma in Nursing, Waikato Technical Institute, 1986.
Industry Experience, Affiliations and Achievements
- 30+ years of experience in nursing in New Zealand and internationally, including:
- 3 years teaching undergraduate nursing students
- 8 years’ hospice and palliative care nursing
- 2 ½ years in education and quality for a community health organisation
- 7 years paediatric oncology nursing
- 6 years in research and clinical trials specific to paediatric oncology
- 3 ½ years in general adult and paediatric medical/surgical nursing
- Member of the Sigma Theta Tau International Honour Society of Nursing.
- Member of the International Council of Nurses (ICN) International Nurse Practitioner/Advance Practice Nurse Network (INP/APNN).
Areas of Expertise and Research
- Palliative care nursing
Part of a team researching the transition to flipped learning in undergraduate nursing education.
Collaborative practice in palliative care is being undertaken as part of a doctoral thesis.
‘Revisiting where it began: Researching collaborative practice in palliative care’. Presented at the Auckland University of Technology Research Symposium, May 2014.
‘Collaboration and communication – what’s one without the other?’ Presented at the Hospice New Zealand Palliative Care Conference, November 2012.
‘Collaborative practice in palliative care: What’s the problem?’ Presented at the Hospice New Zealand Palliative Care Conference, November 2010.
McDonald, C. (2016). Choosing the doctoral path in New Zealand: A reflection on one nurse’s postgraduate education journey. Dynamics of Human Health, 3(2).
McDonald, C., & McCallin, A. (2010). Interprofessional collaboration in palliative care nursing: What is the patient-family role? International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 16(6), 289.