- PhD in Biomedical Engineering, AUT, 2013
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering (Fluid Dynamics), University of Technology – Iraq, 2006
- BSc (7th in a class of 75) in Mechanical Engineering – Air Conditioning and Refrigeration, University of Technology – Iraq, 2003
Areas of teaching
- Applied Computational Modelling
- Advanced Thermodynamics
- Fluids Power and Advanced Fluid Mechanics
- Engineering Fundamentals
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering CAD
- Engineering Development Project
Research area of interest
- Indoor air quality (IAQ)
- Indoor environmental quality (IEQ)
- Thermal comfort
- Health and wellbeing
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- System and control modelling
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Biomedical applications
- Engineering education
Other areas of expertise
- Thermal analysis
- Solar panel simulation
- Sports engineering applications
Areas of expertise
Industry experience, affiliations, and achievements
- Manukau Institute of Technology Excellence Award 2014
- Institute of Biomedical Technologies – AUT- Cardiovascular Diseases Projects
- Biodesign Lab – AUT – Helmet Project
- Swinburne University of Technology – System and Control to Electric Furnaces
- Chemical Engineering Department the University of Auckland – Indoor Air Quality
- STEMfit – STEM and Sports Engineering Projects
- Al Khwarizmi College of Engineering, University of Baghdad - System and Control to Electric Furnaces
Current professional and academic affiliations
- Australasian Association for Engineering Education (AAEE) Executive Committee Member 2021/2022
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) - Member
- International Sports Engineering Association (ISEA) - Member
- Engineering New Zealand - Member
- Mobius Institute - Vibration Analysis
- Al-Rawi, M. (2021). The thermal comfort sweet-spot: A case study in a residential house in Waikato, New Zealand. Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 101530.
- Al-Rawi, M., Ikutegbe, C. A., Auckaili, A., & Farid, M. M. (2021). Sustainable technologies to improve indoor air quality in a residential house – A case study in Waikato, New Zealand. Energy and Buildings, 250, 111283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2021.111283
- Chand, P., Al-Rawi, M., James, S., Antony, J., & Jose, J. (2021). A Low-Cost System for Remote Access and Control of Automation Equipment. Machines, 9(7), 138.
- AL-Rawi, M. Chand, P. & Evangelista, A. (2021). Cost-effective Customizable Indoor Environmental Quality Monitoring System. Advances in Technology Innovation. (in press).
- Al-Rawi, M., Sharma, C., Zhou, H. (2020). Optimization of pipeline reducer using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modelling. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 13(45), 4521–4531.
- AL-Rawi, M., Chand, P., Khanna, J. & Kumari, S. (2021). Developing soft skills to produce work-ready international graduate diploma students in engineering: A comparative study. Work-Integrated Learning on the Rise 2.0, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand (online), 29-30 of April 2021.
- AL-Rawi, M. & Auckaili, A. (2020). Literature review: Effective teamwork and team diversity in engineering education. Australasian Association for Engineering Education AAEE 2020, Sydney, Australia, 6-9 December 2020.
- Khanna, J. AL-Rawi, M. & Chand, P. (2020). Implementing project-based learning and tools to develop employability skills for early tertiary learners in engineering education. Australasian Association for Engineering Education AAEE 2020, Sydney, Australia, 6-9 December 2020.
- Kumari, S., Ariyarathna, T., AL-Rawi, M. & Ross, J. (2020). Enhancing Active Learning in Challenging World: Simple Strategies. Australasian Association for Engineering Education AAEE 2020, Sydney, Australia, 6-9 December 2020.
- AL-Rawi, M., & Oumssount, A. (2020). One-way fluid structure interaction of a go-kart spoiler using cfd analysis. Proceedings, 49(1), 51.
- AL-Rawi, M., Lazonby, A., Khanna, J., Kumari, S. & Moridnejad, M. (2019). Assessing group project for fluids power and advanced fluid mechanics paper. Australasian Association for Engineering Education 2019, Brisbane, Australia, 9-11 December 2019.
- Daniel, S., AL-Rawi, M., Pearson, A., Symes, M. & Goldfinch, T. (2019). Stop lecturing about active learning: Integrating good teaching practices into AAEE conference sessions. Australasian Association for Engineering Education 2019, Brisbane, Australia, 9-11 Dec 2019.
- Khanna, J., AL-Rawi, M. & Kumari, S. (2019). Incorporating effective teaching pedagogies to improve learning and teaching approaches globally. AAEE 2019, Brisbane, Australia, 8-11 December 2019.
- Kumari, S., AL-Rawi, M., Khanna, J. & Moridnejad, M. (2019). Motivation and engagement: Māori and Pasifika learners. Australasian Association for Engineering Education 2019, Brisbane, Australia, 9-11 Dec 2019.
- AL-Rawi, M., Ruan, F. & Burley, J. (2020). Automated bandsawn plywood cladding prime and paint machine. Manufacturing, Design, Entrepreneurship New Zealand (MaDE 2020), Auckland, New Zealand, 7-8 December 2020.
- AL-Rawi, M., Mylarapu, Akhil & Khanna, J. (2019). Thermal power stirling – Green heat engine. MaD2019: A Collaborative Future for NZ Manufacturing and Design, Auckland, New Zealand, 20-21 May 2019.
- AL-Rawi, M., Smith, Callan & Ewart, P. (2019). Residential air quality improvement using UV lights. MAD2019, Auckland, New Zealand, 20 - 21 May 2019.
- M. AL-Rawi. (2021). Do long aorta branches impact on the rheological properties? ASME 2021 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, IMECE 2021 (in press).
- M. AL-Rawi. (2021). Aligning research objectives with student learning outcomes and sustainability objectives in student engineering development project. ASME 2021 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, IMECE 2021 (in press).