What do you love about your job?
I love that we can change lives for the better – create a ripple effect to make the world a better place by empowering and inspiring our students.
Why did I choose to become a lecturer?
Even though I have had years of experience in the health and fitness industry eg personal training, running gyms, aerobics, elite athlete S&C, corporate health and wellbeing – all these involved teaching to an extent. I am a teacher! My teaching approach is interactive, personable, adaptive, and real-world, and the best part is working with the students.
What is your experience in the industry?
I have worked in many positions relating to sport science and human performance. I have been an elite strength and conditioning trainer, a personal trainer, a business owner, worked in corporate health, a gym manager, an aqua aerobics instructor, and an exercise to music instructor.
- Worked with more than 50 international athletes over the last 20 years
- Netball, Basketball, Touch, Hockey, Cricket
- Assessor Fitness NZ Personal Trainer of the year
- Lynne O’Malley & Associates, Redicare and Anglesea Clinic 1990-2000, Sports/Executive Fitness Specialists
- Manager Women's Health Centre for 3 years
- Fitness Trainer Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic 2003-2013
- Winners ANZ Championship 2012 Top NZ Team 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- ANZ Championships finalists: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Winners National Bank Cup:2005,2006
- Waikato NPC Netball – Fitness Trainer 2003-2006
- National Provincial Champions 2003, 2004, 2006
- Runners up 2005
What are your industry affiliations?
- REPS, NSCA, ASCA, ESSA
What are your qualifications and educational background?
- Masters in Sports and Exercise Science (Distinction)
What are your areas of expertise/research?
Exercise and wellness - especially interested in women’s health and wellbeing.
What is your greatest achievement?
What are some of your hobbies and interests?
Music, dance, and fine wine!