Active in the tertiary sector for over 15 years with extensive experience in engineering research support and technical supervision of engineering projects. Experienced in the areas of fluids technology, bioprocessing, mechanical, polymer composites and metals at the undergraduate level. With further experience of graduate, postgraduate and professional research specifically in the materials and processes area.
- MSc Tech
Paul Ewart, Harrisson Jull, Rainer Kunnemeyer and Peter Schaare. Identification of Contamination Levels and the Microstructure of Metal Injection Moulded Titanium. Key Engineering Materials, August 2016.
Paul Ewart. The Formulation of Titanium Metal Feedstocks and the Subsequent Fabrication of Titanium Metal Parts using the Powder Injection Moulding Process. Thesis for: Doctor of Philosophy, January 2015.
Paul Ewart, Deliang Zhang, Seokyoung Ahn. Removal of the Water Soluble Binder Components from Titanium and Titanium Alloy Powder Compacts Produced by MIM. Key Engineering Materials, August 2012.
Paul Ewart. Metal Powder Injection Moulding, Research and Industry. A review and assessment of MIM as a commercial process and the barriers to successful manufacture. Technical Report, January 2012.
Paul Ewart and Johan Verbeek. Using micro-mechanical modelling to predict short-fibre composite properties in computer-aided design of sporting equipment. Article in Sports Engineering 13(2):73-81, November 2011.
Paul Ewart, Micro-mechanical predictive modelling as an aid to CAD based analysis of composite sporting equipment. Masterate Thesis, February 2008.
Centre for Engineering and Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering Team.
The Diploma of Engineering and Bachelor of Engineering Technology programmes.
Engineering Fundamentals, Technical Drawing Literacy, Engineering CAD
Strength of Materials 1, Manufacturing Processes, Engineering Mechanics
- Using titanium metal in a marine environment in conjunction with carbon fibre composites. [Earthrace Conservation]
- The use of computer simulation to verify production process optimisation and enable physical prototyping of a portable healthcare device. [oDocs Eye Care]
- Detailed design of manufacturing equipment suitable for process micro-scale component features.
- A project plan designed to enable development of a Wintec electric vehicle. [Wintec]
- Decreasing the rolling resistance of a single seat electric vehicle by redesigning the componentry and body shell. [Wintec/UoW]
- An investigation and detailed design of manufacturing equipment suitable for anodising titanium metals.
- An in-depth study of the electro-polishing process and how it may be applied to titanium metals.
- Investigating the use of FDM printed mould inserts for the metal injection moulding process.
Industry Experience, Affiliations and Achievements
With a background in transport engineering, Paul has extensive technical experience in the research and design field. Providing materials and contract testing for industry as well as specialising in small contract research.
Based on his PhD research and strong technical background, Paul co-foundered  the start-up company AME Powder Technology Limited and its manufacturing arm PGE Injection Moulding. Paul is active on the board of directors and in a limited capacity as CTO.
He works closely with industrial designers and technology companies to enable new technologies and commercially viable products to market.
- Received a QEII Technicians Award in 2008 for research at Imperial College London.
- A visiting scholar at Chemnitz University of Technology in Germany, 2008.
- Awarded a University of Waikato Doctoral Scholarship 2009-2013.
- 2011 Fulbright Fellow and visiting researcher at University of Texas-Pan American.
Interest areas encompass computer aided engineering, CAD and computer simulation.
A keen interest in equipment design [research, manufacture and sports], development and modification.
Main knowledge area is materials design and testing as well as manufacturing technologies. Specific expertise with powder metallurgy of titanium metals.
“As I am active in product development and commercialisation I welcome inquiries from industry”