Senior Academic Staff Member
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, Purdue University, 2005
- Master of Arts in Addiction Counselling, Hazelden Graduate School of Addiction Studies, 2014
- Certificate in Adult and Tertiary Teaching in Practice, Wintec, 2020
- Post Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning, University of Waikato, Current
Areas of expertise
Industry experience, affiliations, and achievements
- CHASP and CSSHP Partnership Project for Student, Assisted Community Servicing
- Ngā Ara Tautoko: Continuity of care for people experiencing substance use and related problems
- Ngā Ara Tautoko: Community Mental Health: Service user, their whānau and community social service practitioners experience of mental health service access, collaborative practice and continuity of care.
What do you enjoy about teaching/your job?
The privilege of working with the next generation of mental health and addiction practitioners, and shaping our programme to respond to the changes within in the industry.
What do you love about your area?
Working in mental health and addiction is an area of huge need; big changes with exciting new opportunities. I enjoy the opportunity for truly helping and supporting tangata whaiora on their pathway to wellbeing.
Tell us about your experience in the industry
I have previously experienced working with the Hazelden Betty Ford Centre and their Family Programme before returning to New Zealand to work with The Salvation Army. Being on the board of directors for The Retreat NZ, I helped establish the opening of the centre before moving to the Waikato to work with Emerge Aotearoa, and eventually moving to work within the education side of mental health and addiction with Wintec.