Rawiri (David) Waretini-Karena
Academic Staff Member
Centre for Health and Social Practice
+64 7 834 8800 extension 8515
D Block, Level 2, City Campus, Tristram St, Hamilton 3240
- Master of Arts in Commercial Music, Wintec, 2009.
- Bachelor of Applied Social Science in Māori Counselling, Wintec, 2004.
Industry Experience, Affiliations and Achievements
- 15+ years of experience in alternatives to violence facilitation in prisons and the community.
- Director-facilitator of the Coalition Action for Public Safety (CAPS) Waikato
- Radio show host of ‘You be the Judge’, highlighting issues that impact the community.
- Private Māori Counselling practitioner for Nga Kaitiaki O Te Ture Social Advocate Services.
- Native assessor for Nga Uri Whakatupuranga O Maukoro – Sovereign Native Court.
- Coordinator and Chairman of Alternatives to Violence Project Waikato
Areas of Expertise and Research
- Kaupapa Māori theories integrated into counselling practice.