close up of model airplane sitting on world map
In this section

Study overseas with Wintec

Travel, make new friends, earn credits towards your study, and pay the same tuition you do now all from a new country! 

Overseas study options

There are three options for overseas study:

  • Student exchange: you pay Wintec fees and earn Wintec credits but study abroad
  • Internship abroad: if your programme at Wintec has a work placement/experience module, you could undertake this module/placement overseas
  • Scholarships: you can apply for the Prime Minister's Scholarship for Asia or the Prime Minister's Scholarship for Latin America (PMSA/PMSLA). You can do so applying yourself, or checking if Wintec has already applied for a group scholarship within your programme by emailing

Benefits to student exchange

  • All modules are taught in English
  • Earn credits towards your programme of study at Wintec
  • Work permits/visas are available for most countries
  • Opportunity for personal and professional growth 


You're not alone when you study abroad. The Wintec International team supports you from beginning to end, to help make sure you're prepared, and feel safe and happy. To ensure your utmost safety while overseas, Wintec provides your travel and health insurance, free of charge.

You can also apply for a Student Allowance/Student Loan/Scholarship for overseas study through StudyLink. You’ll receive these payments for the dates of your exchange, not the corresponding Wintec semester.

Budgeting and costs

In addition to the cost of your flights, you should budget for approximately $2000 per month to cover general living expenses, accommodation, food, entertainment, and insurance. Also remember to think about any ongoing costs that need covering in New Zealand while you're away.

If you plan to do a lot of extra travel, make sure you factor this into your budget as well.

The amount needed per month varies by destination, so it's worth talking to our Study Abroad team to get an idea of more specific costs.


If you are a Wintec student who has studied here for at least two semesters, have a B average, and are a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand, you could be eligible.

Check your eligibility by emailing

How to apply

  1. Research which country/institute best suits your study goals
  2. Complete the 'contact us' form at the bottom of this web page
  3. You will be contacted by the study abroad office and we will work through the following with you:
    1. Module mapping
    2. Nomination to partner and application process
    3. Travel preparation – visa, flights, insurance and more! 

Contact us

Interested in studying abroad? Send us an email or fill in the form below. 


Wintec will store your contact details to respond to your query, keep a profile of your interactions with Wintec, and send you promotional material.

Prime Minister's scholarship for Asia

Study and explore South Korea with the Prime Minister's scholarship for Asia - for free!

27 March 2020 - 19 June 2020

Travel to Incheon, South Korea and study while exploring Korean culture, tourist attractions and making friends from all over the world with a scholarship worth $12,094.

The Prime Minister’s Scholarship for Asia is a prestigious award and is funded by the New Zealand Government and is administered by Education New Zealand.

We’re offering the experience of a lifetime for motivated kiwi students. Through Wintec’s partnership with Hanbat National University and being accepted for this PMSA programme you’ll have the opportunity to make friends, explore South Korea while studying. Five New Zealand citizens or permanent residents from Wintec have the amazing opportunity to go to Hanbat University for one semester.

Hanbat National University

Hanbat National University (HBNU) is located in Daejeon in the central region of South Korea, about one hour from the capital Seoul. You will find hot springs, hiking trails, amazing parks and museums. Daejeon is also one of the best transportation hubs in the country!

Established in 1927, Hanbat National University is a non-profit public higher education institution. HBNU consists of six colleges and one faculty equipped with up-to-date educational equipment and facilities, as well as dedicated and prestigious faculty members. More than 300 students annually participate in various international programmes. With over 300 international students enrolled and taking courses in various majors in order to pursue their future goals at HBNU.

You will be studying and participating in:


  • International Business
  • Global Enterprise
  • Business Communication
  • Management of Technology


  • Capstone Design Project: A short term Internship or on-site visit to industry partners.
  • Korean Language and Cultural experience programme - various activities during your study.

How to apply

Step 1: Email for a PMSA Group Application Form

Step 2: Submit your completed application to Study Abroad before 30 September 2019.

Step 3: All nominations will go through a panel from International Centre and Centre for Business and Enterprise.

Step 4: If you are accepted you will then go through a pre-departure process that gives you more details and takes you step-by-step on how to succeed on this scholarship and in South Korea.


The scholarship covers:

Round trip flights; portion of your visa fees; travel and health insurance$2000
Weekly living allowance (accommodation, food, transport...etc)$270 x 15 weeks = $4050
Hanbat National University tuition fees$6044
Total scholarship amount$12,094

Waikato Institute of Technology is part of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology Learn More

Learn with purpose

Explore Te Pūkenga

Te Kāwanatanga o Aotearoa - New Zealand Government

Te Kāwanatanga o Aotearoa - New Zealand Government

Copyright © 2022 Waikato Institute of Technology