The WTA gives students a head start; gaining specific and practical experience and skills in an industry based setting, and the opportunity to move directly into a job or apprenticeship, or further study, on completion of secondary school.
The Academy provides sector related credits required to earn a Vocational Pathway Award on your NCEA Level 2 and NCEA Level 3 qualifications. More information about this can be found here.
Why should I study at the Waikato Trades Academy?
Download our PDF Presentation and find out now!
Our Youth Strategy
Wintec's Youth Strategy is founded on the New Zealand Government's Youth Guarantee strategy to increase achievement of NCEA level 2 or equivalent qualifications by 18 year old.
We engage with three segments in the youth market including;
- progression students who are achieving in a secondary school environment and maximising academic curriculum learning
- pathway students at risk of disengaging from secondary school who need hands-on curriculum delivered in partnership with their school
- transition students who are disengaging from secondary school and looking for alternative education options outside of school
Wintec is a practical learning specialist that provides project-based, experiential packages of learning for the above youth customer segments. We focus on providing the right mix of contextualized foundation and career based training, in a low risk, high supported environment which enables students to sample jobs and start their career journey.
In partnership with local secondary schools under Waikato Trades Academy, to deliver vocational pathway sector-related standards that will meet the National Certificate in Educational Achievement (NCEA) Level 3.
Participants in this programme will gain the knowledge and skills required to make decisions about career and higher level study pathways within their chosen vocational pathway.
Graduates of this programme can use credits gained here towards NCEA Level 3 and move on to specialist programmes in their chosen vocational pathway at Level 3 and above through a tertiary provider or industry training organisation. Graduates may also enter into skilled employment on graduation.
The Benefit of Both Worlds
- Fee-free tertiary education
- Head start on a trades career; possibility of going straight into a job/ apprenticeship
- Help deciding what you want to do after school
- Unit standard credits from the trades qualification count towards NCEA, including Vocational Pathway credits towards a Vocational Pathway Award
- More likely to achieve NCEA at higher levels when studying a qualification of interest
- Trade study helps to develop core skills in English, Math and Science
- Programmes offered are coordinated to make best use of both secondary and tertiary expertise and resources
- Secondary school support, friendships, networks and activities are maintained. You can keep doing the sport or after school activities you love, and attend the school ball!
- Full access to Wintec's support services including student mentors, counselling, Student Learning Services, and Te Kete Kōnae
- Individual learning plans for each student cover attendance, workplace skills and life skills i.e. problem solving, self-management, team building, time management, personal presentation and self esteem
- Make friends with students from other secondary schools with similar interests to you