Dame Te Ātairangikaahu Nursing Scholarship
The Dame Te Ātairangikaahu Nursing Scholarships were established in 2006 by Wintec at Tūrangawaewae on the occasion of the conferment of the Wintec Honorary Fellowship to Dame Te Ātairangikaahu. The first scholarship was awarded in 2007.
The purpose of the scholarship is to assist Tainui students in undertaking full-time study, towards an undergraduate nursing qualification, midwifery degree, or a postgraduate nursing qualification (specified below) in the Centre for Health and Social Practice at Wintec. The scholarship is awarded based on academic merit, personal character and involvement in cultural and community life.
One scholarship is awarded each year to cover the cost of the recipient’s tuition fees. The tenure of each scholarship is for three years for a degree, eighteen months for a diploma, or up to two years for a postgraduate qualification.
Candidates will need to submit a Scholarship Application Form which can be found at the end of this page. Applications are assessed by a panel made up of the Māori King or his representative, the Wintec Kaumātua or representative, and the Centre Director for the Centre for Health and Social Practice or representative. Staff from Tihei Mauri Ora, at the Centre for Health and Social Practice will also be invited to attend the selection meeting to provide feedback to the panel.
The application must include:
- The completed application form; and
- An official copy of the applicant’s current NCEA results or academic transcript; and
- A written statement of up to 100 words on how this scholarship will assist the applicant in furthering their career, particularly in Māori Health; and
- A current reference from a kaumātua, secondary school teacher or principal or an employer or community leader.
- Applicants may apply in either English or Māori.
- Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Please see the full copy of conditions in the scholarship regulations at the end of this page.
Candidates must be registered on the Tainui roll. Each Scholarship holder shall be enrolled in one of the following Wintec qualifications:
- Diploma of Enrolled Nursing
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing
- Master of Nursing
The date for 2020 applications has closed. The Scholarship winner is to be confirmed.
How to apply
There are several ways you can submit your application to us:
- In-person at the Student Enrolment & Information Centre (SEIC) located in A Block, Ground Floor, Wintec Hamilton City Campus
- By email
- By post - please post applications to:
Student Enrolment & Information Centre
Private Bag 3036
Waikato Mail Centre
Applications will then be forwarded to the selection panel.