Applied Work Integrated Learning
Is your business looking for an Information Technology or Business intern, or do you have a project you'd love student help with? Our Applied Work Integrated Learning project is here to help.
About Applied Work Integrated Learning
Applied Work Integrated Learning (AWIL) is a work integrated learning programme and a major feature of: the Bachelor of Applied Management (BAM), Business Graduate Diplomas, Bachelor of Applied Information Technology, and Post-Graduate Applied Information Technology programmes.
Applied Work Integrated Learning is a three way partnership between the student, the workplace and Wintec. The purpose is to provide students with the opportunity to experience hands-on the complexities of a working environment.
Applied Work Integrated Learning consist of two types of placements – a work placement (internship) or an industry project:
A work placement will allow students to become part of a functioning, operational team, and be exposed to the enjoyment and challenges inherent in a real world working environment.
In a research project students will apply their theoretical knowledge to a work place problem or issue. The research project is determined by the host organisation and is directly related to the major the student is studying.
The work placement and the research project allow students the time, place and support to integrate theoretical and practical learning. Students are supported by an Academic Supervisor at Wintec who will provide guidance during their AWIL experience and a supervisor from the host organisation who will assess the work placement.
Be part of shaping future leaders!
- The completion of work that may not have otherwise been done
- The enthusiasm of a keen student
- A good human resource strategy for identifying and developing future employees
- Contribution to growing future leaders
- Fresh ideas for your business
- Gaining “real life” experience
- Understanding of the relationships between theory and practice
- An opportunity to sample career options
- Enhanced career prospects through relevant experience and a network of contacts
- Growth in maturity, self-awareness and confidence
- Development and maintenance of close links with industry
- Greater understanding of industry needs which assist in planning and developing curriculum
- Ability to be involved in collaborative and relevant research of benefit to industry and academics