Trades Taster Day
|Entry Level||Year 11 and above|
|Time||8.45am – 3.00pm|
|Location||Rotokauri Campus, G block|
|Total Cost||$60 (GST inc.)|
17 May 2019
28 June 2019
6 September 2019
1 November 2019
What's it all about?
Are you interested in learning about a trade? Come and join our Wintec trade tutors for a 1 day experience to see what it might be like as an Automotive technician or Engineering Fabricator.
Using our late model vehicles, our automotive tutors will lead you through some basic vehicle inspections and activities including such things as:
- How to check for tyre wear
- How to read the tyre sidewall information
- How to safely remove and install a tyre
- How to check for brake wear for both disk and drum brakes
- How to check the various vehicle fluids
- How to change a cam belt
- Our fabrication tutors will lead you through the basic safety of welding processes
- You will develop the basic technique for welding thin sheet metal using MIG (metal inert gas) welding and TIG (Tungsten inert gas) equipment
- You will have time to practice your skills and then be provided material to design and build your own ‘bridge’, that will then be tested in our hydraulic press to determine its yield strength
Trades and Engineering Taster Day Experience
Wintec’s Trades and Engineering Taster days are an opportunity for students to experience both pathways, in two action packed days.
The Engineering Taster day will be held on Thursday 16 May and the Trades Taster day on the following day Friday 17 May. This would be an awesome experience for any students wanting to learn about the trades and engineering industry.
Talk to your career advisor or email STAR@wintec.ac.nz to book your place.
What to bring / wear?
- Enclosed footwear (jandals are not permitted)
- Comfortable clothing
- Morning tea, lunch and a drink
Ready to book
Students - please talk to your Careers Advisor as you need to book through your school.
Careers advisors please go to the Booking Form to book