Centre for Science and Primary Industries
Welcome to the Centre for Science and Primary Industries!Creating the next generation of science talent in New Zealand has never been more important and if you're thinking about a career in Science or Primary Industries, we can help you to build your skills and employability.
We offer a diverse and exciting range of programmes that produce graduates who move on to stimulating and challenging careers within industry. We are proud of who we are and the achievements of our staff, students and alumni.
Why study with us?
Improve your chance of getting a job
In our most recent survey, 95.9% of the respondents* who had graduated from the School of Engineering, Science and Primary Industries were in some form of employment and/or study approximately 6 months after completing their qualification.
Choose a qualification that is relevant to the current job market
81.4% of the responding graduates use the skills and knowledge gained during their qualification in their current employment.
Get hands on experience through practical work experience
What do graduates like most about our programmes?
- "Great hands on experience and quality tutors who really know what they are doing."
- "Being able to see the product of your own hard work in the projects part of the course."
- "I was able to study part-time".
- "The industry experience."
- "We had a great year learning and I would do it again... had it not been for the fact that I passed!"
- "The practical classes helped me to understand the theory."
Response rate: 75/100 graduates contacted responded to the survey.
*Reference: 2011 Graduate Destination Survey, Quality and Academic Unit, Wintec.
The Science team at Wintec offer programmes for students who want to work as Environmental Scientists, Biotechnologistsm Food Technologists, Food Engineers or Science Technicians.
Studying arboriculture, horticulture, floristry, or landscape design or construction at Wintec means learning at purpose built facilities at the Gardens Campus. Being located at the Hamilton Gardens provides an outstanding practical teaching resource and students benefit from not only experienced, industry respected teaching staff, but also the professional staff at the Hamilton Gardens.
Horticulture Education CentreThe Gardens Campus offers:
- 58 hectares of public garden and living classroom
- Two laboratory/studio teaching spaces
- Two horticulture practice barns
- Computer Aided Drafted lab