Dr Suzie Belcher
I originally hail from the UK where I started my physiotherapy career. In the UK, I worked in a variety of physiotherapy fields: NHS (Emergency on-call resp, neuro outpatients, ortho, and MSK), military, high-performance sport and private clinics. I moved to NZ in 2013, becoming a citizen in 2021. I have spent the last ten years of my career specialising in high-performance sport and sports injury prevention. I am a keen researcher, with the focus of my work being around movement analysis, biomechanics, and the physical demands of activities/sport. I currently live with my partner in Auckland with our black lab pup ‘Rugby’. We spend most of our time outdoors hiking, hitting the beach, or mountains.
- BSc (Hons) Physio, Keele University, 2008
- MSc Sport’s Injury Management and Therapy, Sheffield Hallam University, 2012
- PhD National Injury Prevention Programmes, AUT, 2021
Areas of expertise
Industry experience, affiliations, and achievements
- Belcher, S., Whatman, C., Brughelli, M., & Borotkanics, R. (2018) Ten-year review of lower extremity netball injuries in New Zealand. Selected Abstracts from the 2018 Sports Medicine New Zealand Conference. Nelson.
- Belcher, S., Whatman, C., Brughelli, M., & Borotkanics. (2020) Netball neuromuscular warm-up improves landing technique. Selected Abstracts from the 2020 Sports Medicine New Zealand Conference. Tauranga.
- Belcher, S., Whatman, C., Brughelli, M., & Borotkanics, R. (2020) Ten-year nationwide review of netball ankle and knee injuries in New Zealand. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 23(10), 937-942. doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2020.04.004.
- Belcher, S., Whatman, C., Brughelli, M., & Borotkanics, R (2021) Short and long versions of a 12-week netball specific neuromuscular warm-up improves landing technique in youth netballers. Physical Therapy in Sport, (49), 31-36.
- Belcher, S., Whatman, C., & Brughelli, M. (2021) Key considerations for the successful implementation of national injury prevention programmes: A narrative review. New Zealand Journal of Sport Medicine, 48(1).
- Belcher, S., Whatman, C., Brughelli, M., & Borotkanics, R. (2021) Improved performance in youth netballers using two different length netball specific warm-ups. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching. Feb February 2022. doi:10.1177/17479541221077252.
- Belcher, S., Whatman, C., & Brughelli, M. (2021) A systematic video analysis of 21 in game anterior cruciate ligament injuries in elite netball players. Sports Biomechanics. 7;1-18. doi: 10.1080/14763141.2022.2034928.