Student Career Services
The Wintec Student Career Services offers career support, guidance, and information for all Wintec students and recent graduates; this includes help with career decision making, career resources, and making the transition from study to employment easier.
What we offer
- Curriculum vitae (CV) reviews and updates for the current job market
- Cover letter assistance
- Interview tips and tricks
- Help to develop your job search skills
We offer a friendly ear and support to help you make informed career decisions based on your values, goals, and interests.
Career workshops for students
We run regular lunchtime careers workshops to help increase your employability; topics include:
- Finding work- where to begin
- CV writing 101
- Cover letter tips and tricks
- Interview preparation
- Networking and employability
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the next workshop date and location.
Appointments and drop-in sessions
If you are applying for work and would like to have your CV or cover letter checked, we run regular drop-in sessions or you can make an appointment to meet with us at the Rotokauri and City campuses.
- City Campus: Held weekly on Thursday from 12pm-2pm in room GG.36.
- Rotokauri Campus: Held on the first and third Wednesday of every month from 11am-2pm in the Rotokauri Hub (under the student support flag).
For more information or to book an appointment, please email email@example.com.
We have up-to-date resources on writing or updating your CV and cover letter, interview tips and tricks, and other resources to help you in your career journey on the Learner Sucess Toolkit.
Career help in the community
- Migrant Employment Solutions - for international students preparing to apply for a post-study work visa.
- Work Connect - for international students preparing to apply for a post-study work visa.
- Dress for Success - a network of support, professional attire, and the development tools to help women thrive in work and life.
For further careers information and where to look for work, here are some useful websites:
Meet your careers advisor
Kia ora, my name is Aroha Gillette, and I am the Student Careers Advisor here at Wintec. I have been at Wintec since 2018, both as the Student Careers Advisor and the Work Broker for Māori Pasifika Trade Training (MPTT). Prior to this, I worked as an employment support coordinator for international students and skilled migrants and had various other roles in project coordination and community support roles.
I have a degree in communications from Massey University and am currently studying towards a career development diploma. My favourite thing about working in my role is seeing students develop practical employability skills and seeing their self-confidence increase as they prepare to head into the big wide world of work. I also love when I hear from past students who tell me they’ve landed their dream role.
I can help with a range of things, from having a quick look over your CV to providing in-depth counselling of your career and employment options. Please feel free to pop in for a chat or send me an email.
How to contact us
Phone: 0800 294 6832 ext 3714
To book an appointment, please email or pop in. We are located at the Hamilton City Campus, room GG.47 (opposite Student Learning Services at the back of the Library).