Skip to content
In this section

Supporting material for enrolment

To assess your application, or to finalise your enrolment, we may need some more supporting information from you - in addition to your application form. There are some general documents we may need; like proof of ID or an academic transcript. There are also more specific documents or forms required for particular programmes, like nursing or early childhood education; these are explained in the programme information pages and may include a Self-Disclosure Form or a reference from a past employer. We’ve provided more information about these further on.

Ideally, we would like to receive your supporting material with your application – you can upload documents through the enrolment portal if you apply online. However, it is still fine if you want to provide these later. It’s more important to complete your application and to get this to us. We will contact you to let you know what else we need, and there are different ways of supplying us the supporting information, which we’ve set out below.

Some of our programmes require you to complete a safety check to meet the requirements of the Vulnerable Children Act 2014.  This will take place as the start of your study and will require you to bring in additional forms of ID. You can find more information about the Vulnerable Children Act, the safety check process and what it involves here.

General documents we may request

Academic transcripts or NZQA record of learning: We will ask for these if we need to check you have met the entry criteria for your programme of study. We will need to see verified copies of your academic transcripts, results or certificates – we’ve explained what a verified copy is further down.

Birth certificate, passport or marriage certificate: We are required to verify your identity (your legal name and date of birth) as well as your residency status by the Ministry of Education. If you’re a domestic student we may be able to do this through your National Student Number (NSN), If we can’t we will need you to provide evidence of this by supplying verified copies of your birth certificate or passport.

If you identify as Māori and have a justifiable reason for not being able to provide a birth certificate, for example if your birth was not registered, we may need to see an original or certified copy of a statement of whakapapa countersigned by a Kaumātua as evidence of your identity and citizenship. If you have changed your name and it is different to what is shown on your other supporting documents, we will need to see a verified copy of your marriage certificate or a deed poll (if you have changed your name).

IELTS or English Language proficiency: We will ask to see evidence of your IELTS or other English proficiency test results to check you have met the entry criteria for you chosen programme.

Programme specific items we may request

Self-disclosure Form

This is an online form available here

We will ask you to complete this if you have applied for a programme that has specific entry requirements regarding criminal convictions or health declarations. A number of our Health and Social Practice programmes eg nursing, midwifery, counselling, and social work requires this information. It is highlighted on the individual programme information pages if this is required, as well as below. 

Additional Information Form

This is an online form available here. We will ask you to complete this to understand better your study and career goals and to assess your likelihood of success in your chosen programme. We may also ask for this if you haven’t quite met the entry criteria for your chosen programme, but you may still be able to enrol. This would be the case if you’re 20 or over and haven’t met the programme entry criteria. Still, you could be considered for Special Admission, or you’re under 20 and could be considered for Provisional Entry.


We will ask you to supply a reference or references if this is an entry requirement of the programme you have applied for. A number of our Social Practice programmes eg Counselling and Social Work require references; this is highlighted on the individual programme information pages if required.

Your referees can complete and submit their reference for you online here or you can give them a hard copy of the form to complete and return to us.  


If you’re applying for one of our media arts programmes and you have not met the specific entry requirements, we may invite you for an interview. When you come for your interview, we will ask you to bring a portfolio, or sample, of your work. To find out more information about creating a portfolio; please contact the School of Media Arts here.

Vulnerable Children's Act

Wintec is required by law to complete a safety check of students enrolled in a number of our programmes. These include programmes in sports, health and social practice and education – in fact, any programme where a student will complete a placement or practicum when they could be working directly with children or young people under 18 years old. The safety check process is part of the Wintec commitment to complying with the Vulnerable Children Act 2014, which brought in new legislation around working with children and young people. Read more here.

Drug and alcohol testing

Wintec is committed to creating an environment free from drugs and alcohol. Our Drug and Alcohol Policy has been developed to reduce harm and risk from workplace injury, illness, and incidents and to improve overall safety and wellbeing in the workplace. Students who are enrolled in a ‘high risk’ programme will receive more information at the time of induction during the first week of classes. Read more about drug and alcohol testing here.

Verified or certified copies of documents

A verified copy of a document is a photocopy of the original document signed by a solicitor, Justice of the Peace or an authorised Wintec staff member as being a true copy of the original.

You can visit the Student Enrolment and Information Centre at one of our campuses to verify your documents. Alternatively, you can have your documents verified by a Justice of the Peace. 

You can find a list of your local JP's by visiting Yellow Pages and entering 'Justice of the Peace' in the 'What' search box and your city/region in the 'Where' search box.

Ways to submit your supporting material

A number of the forms we may need from you are available to complete and submit online - like the Additional Information Form and the Self-Disclosure Form. If you’re providing us with other documents there are many ways to do this.

Upload it

You can upload supporting material through our enrolment portal when you apply online – the maximum file size is 200MB and you can use the following file types PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, BMP, JPG, JPEG, GIF, TIF, TIFF or PNG

Email it

You can email your supporting material to us at – just include your name or student ID in the subject line.

Post it 

You can post your supporting material to us at Freepost 566, Student Enrolment – Supporting Documents, WINTEC, Private Bag 3036, Hamilton 3240. Please send us verified copies though not your original documents.

Bring it

You can bring your supporting material into the Student Enrolment and Information Centre at one of our Hamilton campuses; you find our opening times here. One of our friendly staff can copy and verify your documents for you or you can leave them in the dropbox.

We’d love to have you visit us - click here for a map. While you’re on campus, you could combine it with a tour – Click here to book a tour.

Programme specific requirements

Specific programmes require additional items to be completed to support your application, such as self-declaration forms, references, and other forms from employers - these are set out below. If you have any questions please call us on 0800 2 Wintec (0800 2 946 832).

Online Forms:

Programme Online Self Disclosure FormOnline Additional Information Form Online Reference FormAdditional required documents



Bachelor of Midwifery     
Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Bachelor of Nursing     
Bachelor of Social Work    
Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood)   
Certificate in Nursing (Competency Assessment Programme)
Enrolled Nursing (Nehi Whakaura)
Certificate in Animal Care Level 3    
Rural Animal Technician Level 5    
NZ Certificate in Veterinary Nurse Assistant Level 5    
NZ Diploma in Veterinary Nursing Level 6    
Graduate Certificate in Professional Practice
Master of Nursing
Master of Professional Practice
NZ Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Social and Community Services)
Paetahi Tumu Kōrero Bachelor of Counselling

✓ x2 references*

Postgraduate Certificate in Health and Social Practice
Postgraduate Certificate in Midwifery     
Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Supervision     
Postgraduate Diploma in Health and Social Practice     
Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing   ✓   
Master of Nursing Science (Pre-registration)   
Primary Care Practice Assistance Te Mahi Awhina Tuatahi     
Short Course - Diabetes Care and Management    

Short Course - Cervical Smear Testing     
* Please note: Two references are required for Paetahi Tumu Kōrero Bachelor of Counselling.

Additional required documents

Programme Additional required forms
Cervical Smear TakingSupervision Agreement, Professional Indemnity Form, Permission Form for Supervisor
Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing Registered Nurse Prescribing Practicum – Clinical Placement Provider Agreement
Certificate in Nursing (Competency Assessment Programme)Nursing Council Competency Assessment Programme letter
Diabetes and Care ManagementCurrent Annual Practicing Certificate 

Do you need help?

If you need any help with your application or advice with your programme of study you can call us on 0800 2 Wintec (0800 2 946 832), email us at or visit us on campus in the Student Enrolment and Information Centre.

Wintec is part of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology Learn More

Learn with purpose

Explore Te Pūkenga

Te Kāwanatanga o Aotearoa - New Zealand Government

Te Kāwanatanga o Aotearoa - New Zealand Government

Copyright © 2022 Wintec