Skip to content
In this section

Frequently Asked Questions

Here you can find out how to apply to study and how to check the status of your application. How to submit your application, what you need to provide, and so much more.

How do I apply?

The quickest and easiest way is to apply online.

If you need help at any time you can call us on 0800 2 Wintec (0800 294 6832) or email us at

If you are calling from outside New Zealand, you can phone us on +6478386399.

How do I know if I’m eligible to study Fees Free?

You can check your eligibility online at – you will just need your National Student Number (NSN). If you need more information check out the Fees Free Quick Guide.

How do I know I’m eligible for the programme I want to study?

The entry requirements for each programme vary – check the programme details online before you apply. If you do not meet the requirements exactly – do not worry you may still be eligible or you may be able to enrol in a foundation pathway programme.

We’re happy to advise you call us on 0800 2 Wintec (0800 294 6832), email us at

If you're calling from overseas, you can phone us on +6478386399.

What does open entry mean?

Open entry means anyone over the age of 16 years regardless of school achievements/results (e.g. NCEA or School Certificate) is eligible to apply, if they can demonstrate a reasonable likelihood of success.

I got a criminal conviction when I was younger; will this stop me from studying?

Not necessarily, let us know the details when you apply and we will be able to advise you. 

What is the closing date for me to apply?

We recommend you apply as soon as possible as our most popular programmes can fill up quickly. It is best to apply early as most programme close once all the places have been filled.  

How do I get my documents verified?

Check the information online about providing additional documents.

How can I check the status of my application?

Once you have submitted your application you can check how it is progressing by logging into the Student@Wintec portal.

To login you just need your Student ID and password we will have sent you when you first applied.

If you can’t remember your details you can request these again here.

How can I provide additional documents?

You can upload your additional documents when you apply online or you can email these to us at (please include your name or student ID in the subject line).

You can also post them to us at Freepost 566, Student Enrolment – Supporting Documents, WINTEC, Private Bag 3036, Hamilton 3240 or you can come into the Student Enrolment and Information Centre at one of our campuses in Hamilton.

You can find our campus maps here.

What happens once I’ve submitted my application?

We will assess your application against the entry requirements for the programme you have selected.  We may need some additional information from you, if we do we will contact you with the details. 

There are some programmes that require additional information and sometimes additional forms to be completed. These can be uploaded with your application or alternatively, you can email additional documents to us at (include your name or student ID in the subject line). 

You can check here for a list of programmes and details of the required supporting documents.

Can I get Transfer of Credit for my previous study?

If your programme includes a module similar to one you’ve taken before and is at the same or a higher level, you may be able to have these credits recognised. This can reduce the number of credits you need to obtain to complete your programme.

You will need to fill in and return an External Transfer of Credit form, we will also need a verified copy of your final and official results from your previous study and course descriptions/content of each of the modules you are looking at applying for Transfer of credit.

An Internal Transfer of Credit form is used for credit transferred from one Wintec qualification to another.

Applications for Transfer of Credit should be made and submitted to the Student Enrolment and Information Centre before the start of your programme of study

How do I go about re-enrolling?

Wintec returning students can re enrol online by completing the returning student form.

You can complete this form if you are:

  • A Current Wintec student who want to enrol into the next year or semester of their programme or new programme of study.
  • A Student who has enrolled at Wintec within the last 5 years who want to apply for a new programme of study.

Alternatively, call into the Student Enrolment and Information Centre and we can print off a returning student form for you, all you need to do is to make sure all your personal details are up to date and we can make the relevant changes. Write in your chosen programme, sign, and date the back of the form.

It's as easy as that!

When should I apply for a student loan at StudyLink?

You need to apply at least 21 days before your course starts to ensure your payment is made in time, although it is better to apply earlier. You can apply for your loan before you apply, but you need to be fully enrolled before StudyLink process any payments on your behalf.

Applications can be submitted at


How do I know what my password and login details are?

Your password/login details are initially emailed to you when you apply.

Have you forgotten your details? No problem. You can reset your password at our student password reset portal. You will need either your email or cellphone we have provided to verify your identity with a security code.

If you have any issues resetting your password, you can contact us at or by phone 0800 4 Wintec(0800 4 946832).

I've fully enrolled, but the modules I've enrolled haven't shown in my Moodle. Why is that?

You will need to talk to your tutor to ensure your name/module has been added to the Moodle resource account.

Can I change my address (email, phone number etc) with you?

Sure you can.  You can also update any personal details online when you log on to your Student@Wintec account so you don't need to come to us each time to update it.

You can also email our team with your full name, ID number and change of details to

I got a phone call/email/text from Wintec saying I missed a class.  But as far as I’m aware, I attended all my classes.  What should I do now?

Please check with your tutor to clarify, as they are the person who records your attendance.

How do I find my timetable?

All students will be provided with Timetable information during Induction Day as this is when all class information is finalised. You can also use the timetable application to view your timetable.

If you have any difficulties loading your timetable then you can watch our "how-to video" or pop into the hub and have a chat with the Student Help Desk.

ID cards

You can skip the queue by sending in a passport type photo to Please indicate if you would like for us to post the ID card out to you, or if you would like to pick this up from either of our enrolment centres.


If you are planning on driving to Wintec and parking on-campus, you will need a parking permit. Follow the instructions to find out more information and how to apply for your parking permit here.

Best-start Guide and new student information 

Check out our Best start Guide and new student information page for all you need to know before your first day.

Do you have any more questions?

Please contact the Student Enrolment and Information Centre.

Wintec is part of Te Pūkenga - New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology Learn More

Learn with purpose

Explore Te Pūkenga

Te Kāwanatanga o Aotearoa - New Zealand Government

Te Kāwanatanga o Aotearoa - New Zealand Government

Copyright © 2022 Wintec