- BHSC Physiotherapy, AUT University, 2009
- PGDip Rehabilitation, AUT University, 2013
- MHSc (First class Honours), University of Auckland, 2015
- PhD candidate, University of Auckland, 201
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
- Clinical research fellow, The Institute of Healthy Ageing, May 2012 - May 2019
- Musculoskeletal and neurological rehabilitation, Focus on Potential, March 2014 - January 2019
- Professional Teaching Fellow: Teaching, supervision, clinical research trials, University of Auckland, January 2017 - July 2018
- Musculoskeletal, Sports Med Physiotherapy, May 2012 - July 2013
- Traumatic brain injury, Bupa Rehabilitation, January 2012 - May 2012
- Stroke and Neuro-Rehabilitation, Waikato Hospital, November 2009 - July 2013
- Member of Physiotherapy New Zealand
Areas of expertise and research
- Neurological rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury expertise
- Interest in older persons and rehabilitation service development
- Deacon, M., Parsons, J., Mathieson, S., & Davies, C. (2018). Can Wii balance? Evaluating a stepping game for older adults. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering. doi:10.1109/TNSRE.2018.2862146
- Mathieson, S., Parsons, J., Kaplan, M., Parsons. M. (2018). Combining functional electrical stimulation and mirror therapy for upper limb motor recovery following stroke: a randomised trial. European Journal of Physiotherapy. doi:10.1080/21679169.2018.1472635
- Parsons, M., Parsons, J., Pillai, A., Rouse, P., Mathieson, S., Bregmen, R., Smith, C., Kenealy, T. (2018). Early supported discharge for older people following injury in New Zealand: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, In Press.
- Parsons, M., Parsons, J., Rouse, P., Pillai, A., Mathieson, S., Parsons, R., Kenealy, T. (2017). Supported Discharge Teams for older people in hospital acute care: a randomised controlled trial. Age & Ageing, 1-6. doi:10.1093/ageing/afx169
- Parsons, J., Mathieson, S., Jull, A., & Parsons, M. (2016). Does vibration training reduce the fall risk profile of frail older people admitted to a rehabilitation facility? A randomised controlled trial. Disability and Rehabilitation, 38(11).
- Parsons, J., Mathieson, S., Parsons, M. (2015). Home Care: An opportunity for physiotherapy. New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy, 43(1), 24-31.
- Mathieson, S., Parsons, J., Kaplan, M. (2014). Combining Functional Electrical Stimulation with Mirror Therapy for the upper limb in people with stroke. Critical Reviews in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, 26(1-2), 113-129.
- Parsons, J., Mathieson, S., Slark, J., & Kaplan, M. S. (2014). Control of Fine Finger Function Following Stroke. Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, 26(1-2), 131-143. doi:10.1615/CritRevPhysRehabilMed.2014010535
- Davies TC, D., M., Singh, J., Holly, Z., Taylor, L., Mathieson, S., Parsons, J. (2013). Developing Wii balance games for older participants: A multi-disciplinary approach. International Journal of Virtual Worlds and Human Computer Interaction, 1(1), 10-18.