Kesava Kovanur Sampath
I trained and practiced as a physiotherapist in India before moving to New Zealand to pursue a masters degree in osteopathy in Auckland. Fascinated by research, I went to the School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago, where I completed my doctorate (PhD). My PhD thesis explored the role of manual therapy in influencing the neuroendocrine system. I currently have 15 articles published in various international peer-reviewed journals. I also have been an invited speaker at national and international conferences and am an active early career researcher working on a few projects at present.
I've had more than 12 years of clinical experience as an osteopath in New Zealand and enjoy treating a wide variety of clients. Prior to my osteopathic training, I worked as a physiotherapist in India. I enjoy playing cricket and badminton. Recently, I've been exploring my passion for photography.
- Wintec Contestable Research Grant, 2021
- Ara Emerging Researcher Award, 2020
- Ara New to Teaching Award, 2019
- ONZ Research Grant, 2019
- Postgraduate Publication Bursary, 2019
- Grant-in-aid, Maurice Phyllis and Paykel Trust, 2018
- Health Division Travel Fund, University of Otago, 2018
- New Zealand Manipulative Physiotherapists Association Fund, 2016
- New Zealand Manipulative Physiotherapists Association Fund, 2015
- Postgraduate fees scholarship, Auckland University of Technology, 2011
- Unitec Institute of Technology Master’s Thesis completion Award, 2008
- Postgraduate study award, Unitec Institute of Technology, 2006
- PG Cert TT
Areas of expertise
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
Early career researcher.
Publications Refereed Journal Articles (Published)
- Kovanur-Sampath K and Fairs E (2020). A piece of the puzzle: Response to Esteves et al. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Kovanur-Sampath K, Darlow B, Tumilty S, Shillito W, Hanses M, Devan H and Thomson OP (2020). Barriers and facilitators experienced by osteopaths in implementing a biopsychosocial (BPS) framework of care when managing people with musculoskeletal pain – A mixed methods systematic review protocol. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Kovanur-Sampath K, Katare R, and Tumilty S (2019). Stress axis and osteopathy – A dual hormone approach. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Kovanur-Sampath K, Mani R, Cotter JD, Katare R, and Tumilty S (2019). Letter to Editor – Regarding “The acute effects of integrated myofascial techniques on lumbar paraspinal blood flow compared with Kinesio-taping: A pilot study”. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies.
- Kovanur-Sampath K and Roy ED (2017). Barriers to identifying mood disorders in clients by New Zealand osteopaths: Findings of a thematic analysis. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Kovanur-Sampath K, Mani R., Cotter JD., Gisselman A., and Tumilty S. (2017). Changes in biochemical markers following spinal manipulation-a systematic review and meta-analysis. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice.
- Kovanur-Sampath K, Mani R., Cotter JD., Gisselman A., and Tumilty S. (2017). Reply to the letter to Editor regarding “Changes in biochemical markers following spinal manipulation-a systematic review and meta-analysis”. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice.
- Kovanur-Sampath K, Botnmark E, Mani R., Cotter, JD, Katare R, Munasinghe PE, and Tumilty S. (2017). Neuroendocrine Response Following a Thoracic Spinal Manipulation in Healthy Men. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy.
- Kovanur-Sampath K, Mani R, Miymori T, and Tumilty S (2015). The effects of manual therapy or exercise therapy or both in people with hip osteoarthritis – a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Rehabilitation.
- Kovanur-Sampath K and Roy ED (2015). Management of mood disorders by osteopaths in New Zealand: A survey of current clinical practice. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Kovanur-Sampath K, Mani R, and Tumilty S (2015). Measurable changes in the neuro-endocrinal mechanism following spinal manipulation. Medical Hypotheses.
- Oliver P. Thomson, Andrew MacMillan, Kesava Kovanur Sampath, et.al. (2021). Opposing Vaccine Hesitancy During the Covid-19 Pandemic - A Critical Commentary and United Statement of an International Osteopathic Research Community. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Regan R, Kovanur-Sampath K, Arumugam A and Devan H (2020). Effectiveness of physiotherapy interventions on disease-specific and generic outcomes for individuals with cardiovascular diseases in India - a systematic review and Meta-analysis. Physical Therapy Reviews.
- Sangelaji B, Smith CM, Paul L, Kovanur-Sampath K, Treharne GJ and Hale LA. The effectiveness of behaviour change interventions to increase physical activity participation in people with multiple sclerosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Rehabilitation.
- Arumugam A, Raja K, Venugopalan M, Chandrasekaran B, Kovanur-Sampath K, et al. Down Syndrome - A narrative review with a focus on anatomical features. Clinical Anatomy.