- Master of Business Administration (Distinction), University of Waikato
- Doctor of Philosophy (Genetics), University of Waikato
- Master of Science (First Class Honours), University of Waikato
- Graduate Certificate Health Policy (Distinction), Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney
- Registered PRINCE2 Practitioner (Project Management), APMG (London), United Kingdom
Industry Experience, Affiliations and Achievements
- Board Member, Hospice Waikato
- Research Associate, Menzies Centre for Health Policy, University of Sydney
- Governance Group Member, Institute of Healthy Ageing, Waikato District Health Board
- Member, Institute of Directors New Zealand
- Recipient of the Baxter Health Policy Award for Excellence, University of Sydney
- Member, Public Health Association of New Zealand
- Member. Wintec Academic Board
- International faculty member of The Peoples’ Uni, an e-learning initiative to build public health and policy capacity in low- and middle-income countries
- New Zealand TROQ Science Governance and Working Groups
- Workforce development working group, NZ National Dementia Cooperative
Areas of Expertise and Research
- Health services research.
- Health policy.
- Non-communicable disease.
- Integrated care.
- Palliative care.
- Interprofessional education/practice.
- In vitro fertilisation (IVF).
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD).
Associate Investigator, He Pikinga Waiora, Healthier Lives, National Science Challenge 2016-2018.
Contract researcher, Te Mata Ira, Health Research Council (HRC) funded project, 2012-2015.
Ian Potter Foundation Fellow, Menzies Centre for Health Policy, 2010-2011.
Beaton, A., Hudson, M., Milne, M., Port, R., Russell, K., Smith, B., Toki, V., Uerata, L., Wilcox, P., Bartholomew, K., & Wihongi, H. (2016). Engaging Māori in biobanking and genomic research: A model for biobanks to guide culturally-informed governance, operational and community engagement activities. Genetics in Medicine, Published online, 15 September, 2016. doi:10.1038/gim.2016.111.
Hudson, M., Russell, K., Uerata, L., Milne, M., Wilcox, P., Port, R., Smith, B., Toki, V., Beaton, A. (2016). Te Mata Ira - faces of the gene: Developing a cultural foundation for biobanking and genomic research involving Māori. AlterNative, 12(4).
Beaton, A., Smith, B., Toki, V., Southey, K., & Hudson, M. (2015). Engaging Māori in biobanking and genetic research: Legal, ethical and policy challenges. The International Indigenous Policy Journal, 6(3).
Essue, B., Beaton, A., Hull, C., Belfrage, J., Thompson, S., Meachen, M., & Gillespie, J. (2013). Living with economic hardship at the end of life. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care.
Beaton, A. (2013). Evaluation of a Waikato Raupatu River Trust Pilot Training Programme: Developing capability of Waikato-Tainui tribal members (Commissioned report, Wintec, Hamilton, New Zealand).