Dr Angela Beaton
- Master of Business Administration (Distinction), University of Waikato
- Doctor of Philosophy (Genetics), University of Waikato
- Master of Science (First Class Honours), University of Waikato
- Graduate Certificate Health Policy (Distinction), Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney
- Registered PRINCE2 Practitioner (Project Management), APMG (London), United Kingdom
Industry experience, affiliations and achievements
- Led the establishment of New Zealand’s third School of Physiotherapy at Wintec (2018)
- Board Member, Hospice Waikato
- Research Associate, Menzies Centre for Health Policy, University of Sydney
- Governance Group Member, Institute of Healthy Ageing, Waikato District Health Board
- Member, Institute of Directors New Zealand
- Recipient of the Baxter Health Policy Award for Excellence, University of Sydney
- Member, Public Health Association of New Zealand
- Member, Wintec Academic Board
- International faculty member of The Peoples’ Uni, an e-learning initiative to build public health and policy capacity in low- and middle-income countries
- New Zealand TROQ Science Governance and Working Groups
- Workforce development working group, NZ National Dementia Cooperative
Areas of expertise and research
- Health services research.
- Health policy.
- Non-communicable disease.
- Integrated care.
- Palliative care.
- Interprofessional education/practice.
- In vitro fertilisation (IVF).
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD).
- Lead Researcher, Pāhekohekotia ngā ratonga hei painga mō ngā tūroro whara nunui – Improving patient (health, social & vocational) outcomes following serious injury
- Lottery Translational Health Research Grant 2019
- Associate Investigator, He Pikinga Waiora, Healthier Lives, National Science Challenge 2016-2018.
- Contract researcher, Te Mata Ira, Health Research Council (HRC) funded project, 2012-2015.
- Ian Potter Foundation Fellow, Menzies Centre for Health Policy, 2010-2011.
- Beaton A., O’Leary K., Thorburn J., Campbell A., Christey G. (2019). Improving patient experience and outcomes following serious injury. The New Zealand medical journal 132(1494). http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/read-the-journal/all-issues/2010-2019/2019/vol-132-no-1494-3-may-2019/7866 Open Access.
- Access to Primary Healthcare in the ‘Oxford Textbook of Global Public Health, 7th Edition edited by Roger Detels, Alastair Leyland, Quarraisha Abdool Karim, Liming Li, and Fran Baum (accepted for publication in 2019).
- Beaton A, Manuel C, Tapsell J, Foote J, Oetzel J, Hudson M. (2019) He Pikinga Waiora: supporting Māori health organisations to respond to pre-diabetes. BMC J Int Equity for Health 8:3 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12939-018-0904-z Open access.
- Hudson M, Wilcox P, Smith B, Beaton A, Milne M, Russell K. (2018) (C)ELSI‐us: Reducing Friction with Indigenous Communities in Genomic Research. American Anthropologist. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/aman.13043
- Oetzel, J., Scott, N., Hudson, M., Masters-Awatere, B., Rarere, M., Foote, J., Beaton, A., Ehau, T. Implementation framework for chronic disease intervention effectiveness in Māori and other indigenous communities. Globalization and Health (2017) 13:69. doi:10.1186/s12992-017-0295-8. Open access.
- Beaton, A., Hudson, M., Milne, M., Port, R., Russell, K., Smith, B., Toki, V., Uerata, L., Wilcox, P., Bartholomew, K., & Wihongi, H. (2016). Engaging Māori in biobanking and genomic research: A model for biobanks to guide culturally-informed governance, operational and community engagement activities. Genetics in Medicine, Published online, 15 September, 2016. doi:10.1038/gim.2016.111.
- Hudson, M., Russell, K., Uerata, L., Milne, M., Wilcox, P., Port, R., Smith, B., Toki, V., Beaton, A. (2016). Te Mata Ira - faces of the gene: Developing a cultural foundation for biobanking and genomic research involving Māori. AlterNative, 12(4).
- Beaton, A., Smith, B., Toki, V., Southey, K., & Hudson, M. (2015). Engaging Māori in biobanking and genetic research: Legal, ethical and policy challenges. The International Indigenous Policy Journal, 6(3).
- Essue, B., Beaton, A., Hull, C., Belfrage, J., Thompson, S., Meachen, M., & Gillespie, J. (2013). Living with economic hardship at the end of life. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care.
- Beaton, A. (2013). Evaluation of a Waikato Raupatu River Trust Pilot Training Programme: Developing capability of Waikato-Tainui tribal members (Commissioned report, Wintec, Hamilton, New Zealand).