Centre Director, Wintec
Research Affiliate, Menzies Centre for Health Policy, University of Sydney
Qualifications and relevant training
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies (Distinction), University of Waikato, 2015
- Registered PRINCE2 Practitioner (Project Management), APMG (London), United Kingdom, 2011
- Graduate Certificate Health Policy (High Distinction), Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, 2010
- Doctor of Philosophy (Genetics), University of Waikato, 1999
Areas of expertise and interest
Equity, health services research, health policy, non-communicable disease, prevention, palliative care, interprofessional education/practice, integrated care, biobanking, in vitro fertilisation (IVF), preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD).
Associate Investigator, He Pikinga Waiora, National Science Challenge, Healthier Lives (2016-2018)
Contract researcher, Te Mata Ira, Health Research Council (HRC) funded project (2012-2015)
Ian Potter Foundation Fellow, Menzies Centre for Health Policy (2010-2011)
- Beaton A, Smith B, Toki V, Southey K, and Hudson M (2015) Engaging Maori in Biobanking and Genetic Research: Legal, ethical and policy challenges. The International Indigenous Policy Journal, 6 (3).
- Hudson M, Beaton A, Milne M, Port W, and Wilcox P (2014) Developing best practice biobanking with indigenous peoples. ISBER (International Society Biological and Environmental Repositories) Conference 2014, Florida, USA, 20-24 May, 2014. (Unpublished)
- Hudson M, Beaton A, Milne M, Port W, and Wilcox P (2014) Toward the development of culturally-informed guidelines for biobanking and medical genomics research in Māori. Queenstown Molecular Biology Conference, Queenstown, New Zealand, 23-29 August, 2014. (Unpublished)
- Essue B, Beaton A, Hull C and Belfrage J, Thompson S, Meachen M and Gillespie J (2013) Living with economic hardship at the end of life. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care. ISSN 2045-435X
- Beaton A. Evaluation of a Waikato Raupatu River Trust Pilot Training Programme. Developing capability of Waikato-Tainui tribal members. Hamilton: Waikato Institute of Technology, 2013 (Commissioned Report).
- Beaton A, Essue B, Hull C and Gillespie J (2011) Specialist palliative care: Current and future service challenges. In: Emerging Health Policy Research Conference, 17 August, 2011, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
- Essue B, Beaton A, Hull C and Gillespie J (2011) Economic hardship at the end of life: The experiences of patients and carers receiving specialist palliative care. In: Emerging Health Policy Research Conference, 17 August, 2011, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
- Beaton A, Essue B, Hull C and Gillespie J (2011) ‘Travelling alongside’: Patients’, carers’ and health care professionals’ experiences of the Calvary Health Care Bethlehem model of specialist palliative care. Project Report. Menzies Centre for Health Policy, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
- Beaton A, Usherwood T, Leeder SR, Russell L. Perceptions of economic hardship and implications for illness management: a survey of general practitioners in western Sydney, Menzies Centre for Health Policy, and Sydney Medical School, January 2011 (Full Report).
- Greenberg, Henry and Raymond, Susan and Beaton, Angela and Colagiuri, Ruth and Leeder, Stephen (2011). Chronic diseases: The urgent need for action. In: Routledge Handbook in Global Public Health. Routledge, New York, NY, pp. 365-372. ISBN 9780415778480
- Beaton A, Leeder S. Driving under the influence. Australian Medicine, 20 Mar 2011 (Commentary).
- Russell L, Leeder S, Usherwood T, Beaton A (2011). Hospitalisation and death: no co-payment required. Australian Policy Online. Available at: http://apo.org.au/commentary/hospitalisation-and-death-no-co-payment-required (Commentary).
- Dominello A, Beaton A, Leeder S (2011). State of NSW: What next for patients suffering health reform fatigue? The Conversation. Available at: : http://theconversation.com/state-of-nsw-what-next-for-patients-suffering-health-reform-fatigue-4 (Commentary)
- Leeder, Stephen and Beaton, Angela and Hull, Catherine and Colagiuri, Ruth and Ward, Michael (2010). Confronting the new epidemics in our cities in urban health: Global perspectives. In: Urban Health: Global Perspectives. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA, pp. 125-138. ISBN 9780470422069
- Leeder, Stephen and Beaton, Angela and Lewis, Steven (2009). Criteria for assessing policy discussion documents containing proposals for health reform. Asia Pacific Journal of Health Management, 4 (2). pp. 10-14. ISSN 1833-3818