The situation relating to COVID-19 is evolving. The health of our students and staff is a priority, please check here for regular updates.
COVID-19 frequently asked questions
Wintec is operating under Alert Level 3 from Monday 4 October 2021, and we are here to support our tauira - students’ learning. Together we are working with our learners to support your education.
Please find answers to your most frequently asked questions on this page, which we will continue to update as we hear more from you.
If you need help, for any situation affecting your wellbeing or your study, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a question we can add to this page, please email email@example.com.
At Alert Level 3, we need your support to protect New Zealand and eliminate Covid-19.
At Wintec, all learning, for now, will continue online.
- Stay at home where possible
- Keep your bubble small
- Exercise and shop locally
- Keep your distance from people - 2 metres outside your home and 1 metre in workplaces
- Delta variant is highly infectious. Practise good hygiene
- Wear a face covering when out in public
- When out in your community – stay local, wear a mask
- Wash your hands and cough or sneeze into your elbow
- Use the contact tracer app and ensure Bluetooth is on
- Public venues are closed
- If you feel unwell, please isolate and get tested
- Check the locations of interest listed by the Ministry of Health and follow the guidelines.
Can I access Wintec buildings and services including health services during Alert Level 3?
Wintec buildings are closed but you can still access our online services.
- The City Hub is closed.
- The Library is operating online.
- ITS Help Desk is open, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 494 6832.
- Wintec Health Services clinic on the City campus is closed but you can still organise an appointment or seek medical advice. Please call 07 834 8869, do not attend in person.
- The Rotokauri Hub (S Block) is closed.
- The Library is operating online.
- Health Services at Rotokauri is closed but you can still organise an appointment or seek medical advice. Please call 07 834 8869, do not attend in person.
I am unable to study in this situation and I want to withdraw. What happens with my fees?
Course fee refunds can vary depending on when you withdraw. Click here to read the Wintec Fees and Refund Policy, Principles and Procedures.
If you are thinking about withdrawing, please talk to your tutor or contact a Student Representative here to see if there is any support we can give you. If you do feel you have no option but to withdraw, please follow the normal process of filling out a Change to Enrolment and Withdrawal Form.
I'm struggling financially. Where can I get help?
If you are struggling with unexpected financial hardship, you can apply for our Manaaki Financial Support Grant. You will need to provide some information about your situation, but you will not need to pay the grant back. Please fill out the Manaaki Financial Support Grant form, and we will be in contact.
StudyLink may also be able to help you if you have emergency costs.
Remember, if your parents have a change in their income, you may become eligible for Student Allowance, or the amount you can get may change. Find more information here.
I’m feeling overwhelmed - what support is available to me at Wintec?
- Wintec counsellors are available for phone-based support. Email email@example.com to ask about a session.
- You can also contact our Wintec chaplain, Carissa Allen for support, email Carissa.Allen@wintec.ac.nz
- If you’re an international student, our International team is here to help you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need IT support, email email@example.com.
- Wintec students can also access external counselling service, Benestar. Contact them on 0800 360 364 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment via phone-based counselling during this challenging time. You will need to let them know you are a Wintec student.
- Or if you are not sure what help would be best right now email email@example.com and we can put you in touch with support.
What other external support resources are available to me?
- For answers to questions about student allowance and living costs payments refer to StudyLink.
- For health advice, refer to the Ministry of Health.
- For government advice on Covid-19, refer to the Covid-19 NZ website.
- For more student advice, refer to the Ministry of Education.
- Find help with feelings of isolation or stress here: mentalhealth.org.nz, hpa.org.nz and allright.org.nz.
- If at any time you wish to speak to someone you can free call or text 1737 to talk to a trained counsellor for free through the Ministry of Health.
- For localised support including food delivery, counselling and employment support contact Here to help u.
If you were in any places the Covid-19 Government tracing team are concerned about, then you may get a phone call if you used the contact tracing app.
If you have symptoms, then please get tested. If not, please try not to stress about it. Find information on Covid-19 testing, including where to find testing centres here. If you have been tested or confirmed with COVID-19, you will also need to complete the Wintec COVID-19 update form.
If you are required to self-isolate please fill in this form so that Wintec can offer you support and advice around your work or study situation.
What student support services are available?
Wintec Support Services are operating online during Alert Level 3 and we are here for you.
Check-out the Learner Success Toolkit designed to help you through your study journey and connect you to additional support services.
Wintec counsellors are available for phone-based support. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about a session.
You can also contact our Wintec chaplain, Carissa Allen for support, email Carissa.Allen@wintec.ac.nz.
If you’re an international student, our International team is here to help you. Email email@example.com.
If you need IT support, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require a JP for certifying your Fees Free declarations, Study Link and Real Me documents etc., this may still be possible electronically. Please email Rachel Posa, JP (Wintec Student Learning Services) for more details, along with your full name, student ID number and the nature of your request.
Or if you are not sure what help would be best right now, email email@example.com and we can put you in touch with support.
My tutor is holding "live'' Zoom classes and I was unable to attend. Will a recording of this class be available to me?
The majority of our Zoom classes are recorded. Please check-in and email your tutor on how to find the session you missed.
Do we still have to submit hard copies of our assessments?
Your tutor will update you on this.
Will marking and assessment concessions be more flexible?
We recognise that this is a stressful time for everyone and will be taking students situations into consideration. Keep communicating with your tutors if you are struggling or you feel your performance is impaired and follow normal processes. We are certainly taking a gentle approach in these uncertain times.
Will our assessments be changing?
Your tutor is working through any changes to assessments, group or otherwise, and will communicate to you as soon as possible. If you are still unsure about your assessments, please get in touch with your tutor ASAP. If you need an extension for any assessments, then discuss this with your tutor. If you still need clarity, then talk to the team manager for that programme.
What if I need specialist equipment to complete an assessment, but I don't have it?
As all Wintec campuses are closed, you will not have access to specialist software and equipment in our computer labs. Some software is now available in the cloud so that staff and students can get access to it. Contact your tutor to find out what the situation is with the software you require.
Will I be able to access one on one support with my tutor?
This should be possible. Contact your tutor via email and request a specific time to meet with them on-line via zoom. Remember that they will be busy with other students too, so be ready with specific questions and perhaps even email some questions through so that they can prepare before they meet with you.
I don't have a laptop/computer at home - can Wintec help?
Can we get specialist software put on our personal computers (at no cost)?
Some software is now available in the cloud so that staff and students can get access to it. Contact your tutor to find out what the situation is with the software you require.
Can we get access to specialist software/equipment during this time?
As Wintec campuses are closed, you will not have access to specialist software and equipment in our computer labs. Some software is now available in the cloud, so that staff and students can get access to it. Contact your tutor to find out what the situation is with the software you require.
I need access to Microsoft 365 for my online learning, can Wintec give this to me at a discount?
Are International students eligible for any financial support?
Yes financial help is available.
The Wintec Manaaki Financial Support Grant is available to students who need immediate and temporary financial help. You can apply here. You will need to explain what's changed in your situation and why you no longer have money for your day to day living expenses. It’s also a good idea to explain how much you need, what you will use the money for and how much your living expenses are. The more specific information you can provide, the better. If you have enough money in your bank account to pay for your living expenses, you should be using this money now.
Further support may be available from your Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. Click here to find your representative in New Zealand.
Can you help me to find a job?
Yes, our Careers team can help. They’ll help you create a New Zealand style CV and cover letter, assist with interview skills, show you great places to search for jobs and help with general employability skills. They also run workshops designed to help you find work. Contact them at Careers@wintec.ac.nz or visit Student Life, in the Hub (close to Student Learning Services) to make an appointment.
I need to renew my visa – who should I talk to?
We recommend you register with NauMai NZ - New Zealand Education’s official support website for international students. You will find useful resources and information about life, work, study, Covid-19 – everything you need to know while you’re in New Zealand. When you join, you will receive regular email updates regarding study, visas, healthcare, finances, Covid-19 and more.
Staying with a Wintec approved homestay or in Wintec accommodation is a really good idea. You have the extra reassurance of knowing you’ll be safe, and with some options, meals are included, which helps you manage costs. For information about Wintec accommodation, click here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Waikato Trades Academy (WTA)
I am doing a WTA course. Is this still going ahead?
How do I access my WTA course online?
To access your online learning site (Moodle) and course information, click here.
Follow the link and log in using your 'Username' and 'Password' details.
Once you have logged in, you will see the course or courses that you are enrolled in on your dashboard.
This also includes a course named 'Keteparaha - Toolbox of Resources'. This course contains helpful information and resources about learning online, meeting the team, and how to get support. Please take the time to have a look at this. We have also attached a Student Moodle User Guide with some basic instructions on how to navigate your way around Moodle.
If you select your course, it will open your programme's Moodle site. Our expectation is that you will log in to Moodle on your normal designated Trades Academy days. This is when your tutors will be available for any questions or additional support. You should continue to work on your schoolwork, as assigned through your school, for the remaining days of the week.
I don’t know my WTA login or password.
If you need your login and/or password, head to the "student password portal" and follow the instructions to find your username and reset your password or:
How to reset your Moodle password
- Go to www.mylearning.wintec.ac.nz
- Click “Moodle” then “Log in” or “Wintec Login”
- Click “Don’t know or forgotten your username or password”
- Click “Start or "Continue process”
- Enter your username that can be found in the above link or Don’t know or can’t remember your username? Find it here.
- Once you’ve entered your username, you will need to either enter the last 4 digits of your phone number to receive a token or enter the start of your email address to receive a token via email. If your phone number or email address isn’t correct, please get a hold of your student advisor who can update this information for you.
- Once you have received a token, enter the digits, and proceed to change your password.
- Remember to save your username and password securely for future reference.
I have questions about my WTA course.
If you have any questions please contact your tutor, their contact details are available for you on the main page of your Moodle programme site. If you are having issues logging into Moodle for the first time, you can contact your student advisor.
WTA Student Advisors:
Tuakura Ford email@example.com
Tori Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org
Danielle Marsh email@example.com