Certificate in Fitness Industry Training (Level 4)
- Semester 1 starts 15 February 2017
- One year full-time, or part-time equivalent
- Fee Guideline: $6,796 (International students: Please click here for fee information)
- Rotokauri Campus, Hamilton
Please note: The Centre for Sport Science and Human Performance is excited to offer changes to the Certificate in Fitness Industry Training (Level 4) from 2016. This programme is perfect for people who want to help others or themselves achieve their goals, whether that be in elite performance or general wellbeing.
If you are a passionate, energetic person who wants to work in health and fitness industry, become involved in physical activity for health and wellbeing, work with individuals or sports teams, or just train more effectively for your own personal goals, then this one year programme is for you.
This is a REPs (Register of Exercise Professionals) registered course. This means you can work as a trainer in New Zealand and other countries such as Australia, United Kingdom, Ireland and Europe.
You will gain knowledge and experience in a range of areas that will assist in developing the skills required for employment in the health and fitness industry.
You will study:
- Introduction to the Sport and Fitness Industry
- Concepts of Strength Training
- Aerobic Training
- Nutrition and Health
- Injury Prevention and Management
- Advanced Exercise Training
Students will then choose:
- Fitness Industry Business Skills
- Athlete and Performance Enhancement
The Certificate in Fitness Industry Training (Level 4) may lead to employment in the sport, health and fitness industry as a Fitness Instructor, Exercise Consultant, Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Team Fitness Trainer, Sport and Fitness Co-ordinator or Activity Programme Leader.
Graduates of the Certificate in Fitness Industry Training (Level 4) may pathway into the proposed Diploma in Personal Training (Level 5), Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science (Level 7) or continue onto further tertiary study.
Candidates are required to have gained a minimum of either:
- 36 credits at NCEA Level 2 across 4 subjects, including 12 credits in English Level 2, or
- 36 credits from the NQF framework at level 2 across 4 subjects, including 12 credits from a “language rich” subject such as History, Classics, Media Studies or English, or
- Other equivalent qualification (as approved by the Head of School or Programme Committee).
In addition, candidates must also meet the specific literacy and mathematical requirements as follows:
- 12 credits in Mathematics/Pangaru at NCEA 1 or higher, and
- 4 credits in reading English or Te Reo at Level 2 or higher, and
- 4 credits in writing English or Te Reo at Level 2 or higher, or
- equivalent qualification (as approved by the Head of School or Programme Committee)
Candidates who do not meet the above entry requirements may nevertheless be considered for provisional entry (if aged under 20 years) or special admission (if aged 20 or over). In such cases entry will be dependent on whether candidates demonstrate a reasonable likelihood of success in the programme.
Candidates who have English as a second language are required to have an International English Language Test System (IELTS) score of 5.5 across all bands; or equivalent.
Candidates will also be required to:
- Submit a written personal statement as to why they wish to undertake the programme
- Provide two written references
- Have a current Comprehensive New Zealand First Aid Certificate (or acquire one within three months of commencing the programme), and
- Demonstra te a level of fitness / health sufficient to fulfil the practical requirements of the programme
- Submit a 'Consent to Disclosure of Information Form'
Need some financial help? If you intend on studying this programme you can apply for the Centre for Sport Science & Human Performance Scholarship. More information and applications forms are available at www.wintec.ac.nz/scholarships
Need help? Want to know how to get started?
Leave your details here and we will come back to you: