Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Informatics
- Semester 1 starts 17 February 2017
- Semester 2 starts 14 July 2017
- Summer School starts 20 November 2017
- Full time for 1 year or up to three years part-time
- Fees Guideline: $6,796 (International students: Please click here for fee information)
- City Campus, Hamilton
The Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Informatics programme has been developed to meet an increasing demand from industry and organisations for professionals with interdisciplinary knowledge and skills in information management. The programme will be relevant to graduates from a range of professional contexts. It provides a pathway for professional development for graduates with degrees in Computer Science, Computing, Information Systems or Information Technology to undertake advanced studies in one or more application areas or for graduates with other degrees to undertake advanced studies in Informatics.
Informatics has to do with the science of information and the practice of information management. Information plays an increasingly pervasive role in our daily lives. How we relate to technology and how technology relates to us is becoming progressively more important. Information systems need to be engineered to deliver data in a way that accurately reaches, communicates with and influences its intended recipients.
This programme is about the use of information systems as solutions in business environments. You will learn how the social, cultural and organisational settings in which information is used are taken into account. You will learn how the analysis and implementation of information systems can be used to deliver information to the right people in the most effective time and ways.
We live in an age where the volume and complexity of information threatens to overwhelm us. Practitioners who can manage the necessary systems and people to make such information commercially useful will be in high demand. You will, therefore, learn how to think critically and solve problems creatively.
Areas of specialisation could include e-commerce, strategic planning, organisational behaviour and services management.
This programme is about managing information technology to create solutions in a business environment. You will take into account the social, cultural and organisational setting in which the information will be used. Areas of specialization could include e-commerce, strategic planning, organisational behaviour and services management.
You will study:
- Informatics and Society
- Project Management for Informatics
Then select from the following electives:
- Management of Information Systems
- Management Support Systems
- e-Business Models and Systems
- e-Business Strategies
- Strategic Planning
- Organisational Behaviour and Change
- Accounting Informatics
- Information Systems Essentials
- Information Technology Essentials
- Business Essentials
- And others...
- A degree (or equivalent) that incorporates applied IT studies, or
- Any other degree (or equivalent) and at least two years experience of designing and/or developing and/or customising an information system in a business context.
- Candidates who have English as a second language are required to have an International English Language Test System (IELTS) score of 6.5, with no individual band score lower than 6.0; or equivalent
About the Faculty
The Postgraduate Office at Wintec has been created to support postgraduate students in their studies and research by providing dedicated resources and advice. Wintec also has a dedicated Research Office which is the hub of research at Wintec and caters to all researchers, both staff and students.
Please Note: We are currently updating our 2015 entry criteria. To ensure you receive the correct information for 2015 programme regulations, please download the following pdf document:
Need help? Want to know how to get started?
Leave your details here and we will come back to you: