90% of Midwifery Degree Grads get relevant jobs*
“I didn’t choose midwifery. Midwifery chose me.”
From providing advice to women planning on becoming pregnant to supporting women during pregnancy, labour and birth and for up to six weeks following the birth; you could be doing this in hospitals, birthing centres, patients’ homes or community practices. There’s also the opportunity to own your own business in the world of midwifery, and as a Wintec graduate, your qualification in this field will be recognised and respected all over the world.
Under 19 years (No NCEA level 3)
- If you are under 19 years of age you will need to do CUP which is done at the University of Waikato. Such students are advised to enrol in specific modules ( either bridging Science or Bridging Biology and where students do not have numeracy ( 10 credits at NCEA Level 1) bridging mathematics.
- Students aged 19 years and over who will turn 20 years at the start of the midwifery programme, can elect to study the Certificate in Introduction to Study to pathway onto the Bachelor of Midwifery- as long as they attain a B+ average overall in the certificate.
- Equivalent of B + average across all modules in Bridging or Foundation health or science programme with a satisfactory reference.
- Candidates are required to have at least 18 credits at NCEA level 3 in Biology or Chemistry ( along with other equivalent subjects). If you have met the entry requirements for Midwifery , but don’t have the science pre-requisites this programme is for you.
As a Midwife your days are spent supporting, advising and caring for women during pregnancy, labour and birth, and for several weeks following the birth. This includes providing information and education on pregnancy, birth and parenting, discussing and organising ultrasound and blood tests, referring to other specialists when necessary, prescribing medication during labour and birth of required, examining and caring for newborn babies, advising on breastfeeding, immunisations, contraception and all other mother and baby health issues.
Don't meet the entry criteria?
- Science online - achieve the science credits you need, or boost your science confidence before starting nursing or midwifery study
- Certificate in Introduction to Study (Level 2)
- Certificate in Introduction to Study (Level 4)
- First Aid
*Graduate Destination Survey 2016