Diploma in Beauty, Body and Spa Therapies (Level 5)
- Semester 1 starts February 2018
- Two years full-time, or part-time equivalent
- Fee Guideline: $6,373* (per year) (International students: Please click here for fee information)
- City Campus, Hamilton.
Gain the skills to pursue a career in the beauty, body, and spa industries. This course incorporates the Certificate in Beauty Clinic Practices. Also embedded within this programme are internationally recognised City & Guilds qualifications (www.cityandguilds.com).
If you'd like to be at the leading edge of beauty, body and spa treatments, this programme is for you.
You'll learn skills that will take you all over the world and open up career opportunities from television and film, to international spa work, make-up and nail artistry.
Year One Modules:
- Professionalism for the Beauty, Body and Spa Industry
- Facial Analysis and Treatment
- Essential Anatomy and Physiology for Beauty Therapy
- Advanced Facial and Tanning Techniques
- Practical Treatments for the Hands and Feet
- Professional Hair Removal Techniques
- Professional Eye Enhancement Treatments
- Practical Face and Figure Analysis
Year Two Modules:
- Advanced Facial and Body Treatments
- Anatomy and Physiology for the Spa Industries
- Body Massage Techniques
- Electrolysis and Electrical Therapy for the Spa Industry
- Beauty, Body and Spa Industry Development
- Special Techniques for Fashion Media
- Māori, Pasifika and Asian Cultural Treatments
- Professional Spa Practices
Embedded within this programme are internationally recognised City & Guilds qualifications, this will enhance your study and let you take your career overseas.
No Better Place to Study
- Wintec tutors are highly trained and qualified in their specialist fields. Their on-going training means they're teaching you up-to-date industry trends and techniques.
- You'll be studying and working with real clients in Wintec's state-of-the-art, fully functioning beauty clinic, Urban Spa. Wintec's awesome learning environment will keep you focused and motivated all the way to graduation day. For more information about Urban Spa please visit - www.wintec.ac.nz/urban
Learning by Doing
During the course you'll be given the opportunity for work experience with charities like Canteen and Hospice. You'll work with Media Arts students on photo shoots and movie sets, and local spas and clinics will give you the chance to see their operations in real life.
The Diploma in Beauty, Body and Spa Therapies (Level 5) may lead to employment in the beauty and spa therapy industry in areas such as beauty clinics, hair salons that have a beauty section, self-employment, cruise ships, pharmacies or as a mortician, media makeup artist, nail technician, facialist or cosmetic house representative. Currently, there is a skills shortage for qualified therapists as New Zealand due to an increase in the number of beauty, body and spa destinations.
Upon achieving relevant work experience you will have the necessary skills to move into team leader, head therapist and management roles. The skills and knowledge that are gained can be applied in the regional, national and international workplace.
Scheduling & Workload
Timetables will be provided closer to your start date (as this is dependent on what stream you will be placed in). As a general guideline the expectation is that you will be required to be at Wintec up to 4 days per week, Monday - Thursday. Fridays are to be spent in self-directed study or in work placement.
- 48 credits at NCEA Level 2 in four subjects preferably including English and Science, or
- National Certificate in Cosmetology (Level 3), or
- Certificate in Beautician and Nail Technology (Level 4), or
- National Certificate in Beauty Services (Beautician) (Level 4), or
- National Certificate in Beauty Services (Nail Technology) (Level 4), or
- Equivalent qualification
- Candidates who have English as a second language are required to have an International English Language Test System (IELTS) score of 6.0, with no individual band score lower than 5.5; or equivalent.
- Candidates who do not meet the specified entry requirements may be considered for provisional entry (if aged under 20) or special admission (if aged 20 or over). These candidates may be required to demonstrate an ability to successfully complete the programme through a process of an interview and / or assessment.
Secondary School Students
Want to experience beauty therapy for a day? Come to Wintec and do a Taster in Beauty Therapy. Talk to your STAR Coordinator or Careers Advisor for more information.