SPOE407 – Outdoor Leadership
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
To allow students to experience a range of outdoor leadership situations that enable them to develop personal leadership experience and group leadership experience in a range of outdoor activities whilst under direct supervision.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of outdoor leadership.
Demonstrate and apply knowledge of planning, leading and evaluating leadership experiences.
Demonstrate and apply logistics and safety management to lead outdoor activities.
- - Adventure Based Learning
- Leadership skills for a range of outdoor pursuits that could include but are not limited to tramping, camping, kayaking, canoeing, mountain biking, rock climbing, caving, mountaineering, and adventure based learning and high/low ropes.
- Outdoor leadership and group dynamics.
- Leadership practice in an outdoor context.
- Evaluation of leadership.
- Professionalism in a leadership role.
- Trip planning.
- Safety management.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Blended delivery of theory, online, and practical activities.
Lectures will be used to introduce key themes and main topics to the students. Tutorials will develop concepts further through group work, projects and online learning. The assessments will encourage reflection on important concepts taught throughout the course.
- Assessment Criteria
- To pass this module students must complete all assessments and accumulate an overall module mark of no less than 50%.