SPHP610 – Research Methods
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
To introduce the student to research concepts and the design and methods used in sport and exercise science. Students will gain a working knowledge of the processes involved in designing, conducting and analysing the results of research projects.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Demonstrate knowledge of research concepts and implement project design and
methodologies employed in sport science
2. Use available statistical analysis and graphics software to demonstrate ability in the
treatment of results
- -Introduction to Research and Questioning
- What is a literature search and how to conduct one.
- The introduction and presenting the problem.
- Experimental research.
- Descriptive research.
- Qualitative Research
- Designing a Method.
- Results, discussion, reporting research.
- Types of Data, Parametric Statistics and Non-Parametric Statistics Explanation.
- Presenting data.
- Descriptive Statistics
- Validity and Reliability
- Inferential Statistics
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching methods will include tutorial and laboratory work.
- Assessment Criteria
- Candidates must achieve a minimum C grade pass overall from assessments to receive a passing grade for this module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Required Text:
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the course. This will be updated annually.