SPHP602 – Coaching Pedagogy
To introduce students to the theory and practice of sports coaching with a particular focus on the pedagogical skills necessary for coaching within the sporting environment.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1.Critically examine various coaching philosophies and their effectiveness within a range of coaching styles.
2.Identify and demonstrate an understanding of the principles of effective coaching and teaching of sport skills.
3.Identify and apply the principles and methods of skill analysis, error correction and effective feedback when teaching sport skills.
4.Show an understanding of Long Term Athlete Development and the range of learning styles in the planning effective coaching sessions.
- -Coaching philosophy
-The role of the coach
-Styles of coaching
-Principles of learning sport skills
-Styles of Learning VARK
-Teaching and coaching sport skills
-Transfer of learning
-Skill analysis and error correction
-The planning of coaching sessions
-Long Term Athlete Development
-Readiness for sport
-Participation, motivation and attrition
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching methods include lectures, group discussion, micro-teaching, observation, practical coaching and independent assignments.
- Assessment Criteria
- Candidates must achieve a minimum result of 40 in the final examination of this module. They must achieve a minimum C grade pass overall from assessments to receive a passing grade for this module.
- Required Textbooks
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the course. This will be updated annually.