To provide students with an understanding of relevant engineering principles so that they are able to operate and monitor dairy manufacturing plant effectively.
This module also aims to develop students own professional capabilities as a leader and manager of dairy processing staff.
- Learning Outcomes
- On the successful completion of this module the student will be able to:
1.Calculate unit and mass balances relevant to dairy manufacturing.
2.Apply basic heat transfer and process heat supply principles to dairy manufacturing processes.
3.Apply basic instrumentation and control principles to a dairy manufacturing plant.
4.Identify basic mechanical and electrical faults in a dairy manufacturing plant and implement any remedial action required.
5.Evaluate the application and suitability of a range of packaging systems for dairy products.
6.Evaluate and apply appropriate maintenance and engineering procedures to a dairy manufacturing plant.
7.Demonstrate leadership and problem solving skills within the context of dairy engineering.
- - Units and mass balances
- Heat transfer
- Process heat supply
- Packaging systems
- Electricity and motors
- Instrumentation and control
- Foreign matter, metal detection
- Plant life cycles
- Maintenance and engineering - Reliability Engineering, Asset Care (ACAP)
- Introduction to Leadership and Management within the workplace setting
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching and learning methods will include:
- Inquiry based learning, problem solving and discussion
- Online Moodle activities
- Visits to dairy manufacturing plants
- Laboratory activities in engineering laboratory facilities
- Guest lectures
- Theoretical face-to-face and online sessions including workbooks, lectures, workshops, group activities, discussion, independent learning, and assignments
- Industry based activities and assessments
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- A reading list will be supplied by the lecturer at commencement of the module which will be updated annually.
Access to engineering laboratory facilities and equipment will be required for this module.
Access to dairy manufacturing plants.