REST303 – Restaurant and Beverage Service Practices
Restaurant and Beverage Service Practices
To provide students with the skills and knowledge to apply food and beverage service practices in a restaurant.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1: Prepare a restaurant for food and beverage service
2: Provide food and beverage service in a restaurant
3: Complete closing procedures required at the end of food and beverage service
4: Maintain appropriate standards of professional behaviour and practice in the workplace.
- - Principles and practice of food and beverage service
- Docket writing
- Silver service skills
- Standard operating procedures
- Health and safety; food safety and security in practice
- Professional behaviour and practice attributes: reliability, punctuality, teamwork, professional
appearance, and personal presentation.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Practical - tutor demonstration and application in a practical context; includes team work, time management skills, recording of evidence via ePortfolio, peer and tutor feedback incorporating current industry standards and modelling of professional practice and behaviour.
Theory - includes face-to-face, web-supported lectures and tutorials; use of 'Moodle' and the internet; project-based learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment in this module is mixed mode. Students must gain a minimum mark of 50 in the achievement-based assessments and meet all the requirements of the competency-based assessments to be eligible for a final grade for this module. The final grade will be based on the marks from the achievement-based assessment tasks.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- - A fully equipped and operational commercial training restaurant
- Online resources accessible in all classrooms, in the restaurant and off-campus
- Evidence portfolios
A list of recommended readings and resources, including links to relevant legislation, will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually or as required.