MG6031 – Instrumentation and Control 2
Instrumentation and Control 2
To develop an understanding of advanced industrial measurement and control systems including detailed measurement and control strategies, advanced control systems, and elementary process modelling.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of measurement principles, and calibration procedures and standards.
2. Apply knowledge of smart sensors and transducers in practical industrial applications.
3. Analyse, select and apply transducers to industrial applications.
4. Prepare and interpret diagrams using ISO standard symbols. (PFD and PIP).
5. Apply knowledge of smart sensors and transducers in practical industrial applications including rotating machinery and motors.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the Nyquist and Bode stability diagrams.
7. Demonstrate knowledge of a basic control simulation and modelling software package (For example Matlab with Simulink).
8. Demonstrate knowledge of and apply advanced controller design and tuning methods (For example Cascade, feed-forward, ratio, selective, adaptive, fuzzy logic).
9. Build, program, test, and document an automation application to given specifications (for example a single element control loop).
- • Measurement principles and calibration procedures and standards
• Operating principles of smart sensors and transducers
• Analyse and select appropriate transducers for typical industrial applications
• Preparation and interpretation of instrumentation documentation to appropriate industry standards (PFD, PIP)
• Operating principles of selected rotating machinery sensors and motion converters
• Nyquist and Bode stability diagrams
• Basic control system modelling and simulation software
• Mathematical models of basic physical processes
• Advanced control and tuning modes for dependent control loops
• An automation application is built, programmed, tested and documented