Highway Design and Maintenance
To develop knowledge of road pavement design, roading project evaluations, asset management, road maintenance and management.
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Evaluate the road transportation funding mechanisms and the feasibility of roading projects.
2. Design the geometrical and structural components of a road.
3. Evaluate road maintenance solutions/techniques and develop a simple road maintenance strategy.
4. Evaluate asset management and road maintenance management fundamentals.
- • Funding source and mechanism, benefit cost ratio, projects costs, project benefits, time value of money, project evaluations
• Characteristics and applications of a range of wearing surfaces, design of sprayed seal surfaces, flexible pavement design using standard design charts, introduction to mechanistic analysis, road geometrics, horizontal alignment, transition curves, vertical alignment, ancillary services (safety rails, pavement marking, signage, street lighting)
· Road condition monitoring, maintenance methods and strategies, life cycle, rehabilitation options, temporary traffic management requirements, safety
• Asset management fundamentals, road performance data acquisition and analysis, life cycle costing, maintenance management strategies