MG5016 – Elements of Power Engineering
Elements of Power Engineering
To develop understanding of three phase circuit theory as applied to power engineering and ELV earthing and protection systems.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- On successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of three-phase circuit theory.
2. Perform calculations using power in AC circuits.
3. Describe electricity distribution industry meters and metering methods.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of basic earthing and power system protection for ELV/LV installations.
5. Describe electrical and building reticulation system types
- • Star and delta connected three-wire, star connected four wire circuits, three-phase relationships, phase angles.
• Calculations involving a three-wire star load and four-wire star configuration with neutral impedance.
• The power developed in single-phase and three-phase circuits is calculated and analysed.
• Power factor correction calculations are performed on single-phase and three-phase circuits; capacitor values in kVAr and µF for single and multiple circuits, balanced and unbalanced loads.
• Single-phase power, three-phase power, three-phase kVAr.
• Basic components of ELV/LV power system protection (e.g. MEN, TT and fuses, MCB, RCD).
• Parameters on a current interruption oscillogram.
• Earthing systems, fault types and detection methods for ELV/LV installations.
• Causes, effects, and mitigation of harmonics in power systems are explained in accordance with ASNZS 6100and industry practice with calculations on single phase circuits containing complex waveforms.
• Terms used for electricity loads, calculation of costs of supply at different tariffs, power factor correction effects on tariffs, load control improvement.
• Describe the principles of electrical and building reticulation and outdoor installations as described in the terms of the intent and application of the Electricity Regulations 1997 and AS/NZS3000.