HSMW523 – Te Whare Kohanga Bicultural Frameworks for Midwifery
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Te Whare Kohanga Bicultural Frameworks for Midwifery
To develop understanding of Maori world view and bicultural frameworks that inform Midwifery Practice in Aotearoa. Te Tiriti o Waitangi, cultural safety and Turanga Kaupapa guidelines are explored to support midwifery relationships with whanau and to ensure cultural integrity during pregnancy and childbirth is maintained.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Demonstrate an understanding of Maori world view and Tikanga Maori within midwifery practice.
2. Examine Te Tiriti o Waitangi and its significance for Aotearoa.
3. Identify and describe the mechanisms of colonisation within an Aotearoa context.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of cultural competence and Turanga Kaupapa guidelines in relation to midwifery practice.
- ? Te Ao Maori – Maori worldviews, values and belief systems
? Tikanga Maori
? The powhiri process
? Whakawhanaungatanga – Processes for building relationships
? Pepeha and Maori greetings
? Karakia and waiata
? Te reo Maori pronunciation
? Te Tiriti o Waitangi
? Colonialism and imperialism
? Mechanisms of colonisation in Aotearoa
? Hauora and Maori models of health
? Partnership model
? Turanga Kaupapa and Nga Maia o Aotearoa me Te Wai Pounamu
? Cultural responsiveness in midwifery practice
- Assessment Criteria
- *This assessment must be passed to pass the module.
The portfolio is comprised of multiple components.
Students need to provide evidence against all learning outcomes, gain an overall mark of 50%, and attend the Noho Marae to pass this module.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- May include: Project-based Learning; Flipped Classroom; Blended Learning; Work-integrated Learning; Inclusive Practices.
Methods may include workshops and practical classes, tutorials, case-based learning, inquiry-based learning, group activities & discussion, supported online learning, e-portfolio, practice simulation.