HSIP501 – Te Pu
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
To develop knowledge and understanding of Maori worldviews, colonisation, tikanga Maori, and the historical context of colonisation in Aotearoa. To develop skills in applying te reo and tikanga Maori to professional practice, as a tool for engaging and building relationships.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Demonstrate an understanding of Maori world view through the application of te reo and tikanga Maori.
2. Describe the Treaty of Waitangi / Te Tiriti o Waitangi discourses and discuss its significance for Aotearoa.
3. Identify and describe the historical mechanisms of colonisation in Aotearoa.
4. Demonstrate an increased understanding of self, within the context of Te Tiriti o Waitangi / The Treaty of Waitangi.
- • Te Ao Maori – Maori worldviews, creation narratives and traditional belief systems
•Tikanga Maori / Maori cultural practices and values
•Whakawhanaungatanga – Processes and cultural practices for establishing and building relationships
•Pepeha and Maori greetings
•Karakia and waiata
•Te reo Maori for general contexts (every day language)
•Te reo Maori pronunciation
•Te Tiriti o Waitangi / The Treaty of Waitangi
•Colonisation in Aotearoa
•He Wakaputanga o te Rangatiratanga o Nu Tireni / The Declaration of Independence
•Discourse, and how it influences understanding of engagement with Te Tiriti / Treaty
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- May include: Project-based Learning; Flipped Classroom; Blended Learning; Work-Integrated Learning; Inclusive Practices.
Methods may include workshops and practical classes, tutorials, case-based learning, inquiry-based learning, group activities & discussion, supported online learning, e-portfolio, practice simulation.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple components.
Students need to provide evidence against all learning outcomes, gain an overall mark of 50%, and attend the marae visit to pass this module.