HORT332 – Pruning
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
The aim of this module is to develop student’s ability to prune young trees and shrubs.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Identify the form and features to be emphasised in the tree in arboriculture situations.
Prune young trees and shrubs under 10 metres in arboriculture situations
- - Tree form identification
- Enhancing trees by pruning
- Bud identification; floral, vegetative and mixed
- Pruning without chainsaw use above ground
- Techniques and progression, ground staff role
- Tree climbing, codes of practice
- Branch removal; crown lifting, reduction, thinning, deadwooding, clearing out, formative pruning, crown restoration
- Site cleanup
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Theoretical face-to-face and online sessions including workbooks, lectures, workshops, group practical activities, discussion, independent learning, and assignments centred on project based learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment in this module is competency-based. In order to pass this module, students must attempt and meet all the requirements of the competency-based assessments including carrying out all tasks in a safe manner and to industry standard.