Pukenga Matauranga: Academic Skills
The aim of this module is to enable students to develop the academic knowledge and skills needed to progress on to further study in their identified career pathway.
- Learning Outcomes
- Use a range of academic and digital literacy skills to locate, select and analyse information from a variety of sources relevant to context specific tasks.
Work independently and collaboratively, using a range of academic and digital literacy skills, to complete context relevant academic tasks.
Construct a reasoned and researched argument and communicate your ideas using a range of academic writing styles and/or a range of appropriate media.
- -Academic Skills; academic and context-specific literacy and numeracy skills; tertiary academic writing; digital literacy
-Research Skills; introduction to research; understanding the question; locating and choosing relevant information; reading for understanding; using information; acknowledging sources; sharing information using a range of media; ethical research
-Working with others; social/emotional Intelligence; interpersonal skills; active listening; conflict resolution; collaboration; cross-cultural competency
-Te Ao Mori; Te Tiriti o Waitangi/Treaty of Waitangi
-Novel and Adaptive Thinking; critical thinking; problem solving; skills for discussing, debating, critiquing; reasoned argument; independent thinking; personal reflection
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Students will gain knowledge, skills, capabilities and attitudes by participating in classroom and practical sessions that may include face to face tutor led targeted teaching sessions; tutor demonstrations; collaborative group activities and discussions; student seminars and/or presentations; simulated activities and role plays; guest speakers; and practical workshops. All teaching and learning will be web-supported.
- Assessment Criteria
- Portfolio 100
The portfolio is comprised of multiple components. To pass this module, students must attempt all components and achieve an overall pass grade of 50.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- A full set of resources will be issued for this module, including course work and assessment materials, a list of recommended/required texts/library books, and web-based resources. Students will also be encouraged to use the library and other resources that can be accessed at Wintec.