Facilitation of Online Learning
The purpose of this module is to provide learners with the principles, practices, techniques, processes and theories of facilitating and evaluating online learning. To accomplish this it will explore issues relating to theories and perspectives of online learning, online facilitation, pedagogy and technologies.
Students will analyse the theoretical principles, practices, strategies and methods in online facilitation and learning. The changing roles of teachers and learners will be examined. The principles, practices and techniques in online learning will be applied to an interactive online activity.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1Analyse the theories and practical perspectives of online teaching and learning and the differences and similarities between teaching and learning in other contexts.
2Evaluate the key technologies used in online environments and the impact of these technologies on learning and teaching activities.
3Identify and evaluate the differences between asynchronous and synchronous online instruction and discussion to effectively guide and promote learners collaboration.
4Evaluate and apply online facilitation strategies and techniques appropriate to the delivery of an online course.
5Analyse and apply the theoretical and practical perspectives of learner evaluation.
- Review of the theoretical principles, practices, strategies and methods in online facilitation and learning.
Analysis of the changing roles and responsibilities for teachers and learners in the online environment.
Key technological features of Learning Management Systems, uses and limitations.
Asynchronous and synchronous online discussion and instruction.
Application of principles, practices, strategies and techniques in online teaching and learning.
Management of online education: collecting storing and analysis of user data.
Using the Learning Management System to facilitate learning in the online environment.
Using the Learning Management System to evaluate learning in the online environment.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching Learning Methods:
Guided question and answer
Peer teaching / peer tutoring
Web 2.0 Discussion Tools
- Recommended Readings
- Sutton, B., & Basiel, A. (Eds.) (2013). Teaching and Learning Online: New Models of Learning for a Connected World, Volume 2. Routledge, New York and London