Developing Online Courses
Students will analyse and apply design principals to the planning of an online course. The theories and perspectives on learning will be analysed in relation to the online environment. A range of educational course management platforms will be explored. An online course will be created.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1. Analyse the theories and perspectives on learning, principles and procedures of needs assessment and context analysis in relation to the online environment.
2. Analyse and apply design principles appropriate to the planning of an online course.
3. Evaluate a range of educational course management platforms.
4. Utilise online educational course management platforms to create an educational course.
- ? Practical ‘hands on’ teaching sessions led by tutor but also involving collaborative engagement by the students in the class.
? Demonstrations which can include outside presentations from teachers and commercial vendors.
? Reading and research from a variety of sources including library, Internet, research papers, educational journals, magazine articles etc.
? Modules that involve on-line delivery will use a variety of electronic tools to facilitate teaching and learning. Extensive use will be made of asynchronous and synchronous discussion. Web-based resources will be a primary source of information as well as other supporting materials such as CDRom and module book readings. Group discussion and small group presentations will form part of the module teaching and learning strategies, as well as information about and demonstrations of new technologies.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- ? Instruction Sheets
? Guided questions and answers
? Peer teaching / peer tutoring
? Discussion Groups
? Independent Study