Advanced Culinary Skills 1
To enable students to build on, develop and apply a broad range of advanced cookery skills and knowledge associated with seafood, poultry and larder cookery in a commercial kitchen.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1: Plan and produce a broad range of seafood, poultry and larder dishes employing advanced
preparation, cookery and presentation techniques.
2: Monitor and maintain appropriate standards of professional behaviour and practice in the
- - Advanced techniques for the preparation and presentation of advanced seafood, poultry
and feathered game, and larder dishes in a commercial kitchen environment
- Apply Industry Skills -
- Understanding Recipes ( weighing, measuring and method),
- Effective use of Kitchen Equipment,
- Correct commodity selection and knowledge,
- Associated Culinary Terms,
- Food safety and nutritional knowledge
- Health, safety and hygienic practices in a commercial kitchen
- Professional practice and behaviour: Reliability, time management, problem solving, cultural
understanding and diversity, staff management skills, communication skills, teamwork,
professional appearance and personal behaviour
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Practical - tutor and guest tutor-led demonstration and application in a practical context; includes team work, time management skills, recording of evidence via ePortfolio, peer and tutor feedback incorporating current industry standards and modelling of professional practice and behaviour.
Theory - includes face-to-face, web-supported lectures and tutorials; use of 'Moodle' and the internet for research; guest tutors; project-based learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks. To pass this module all tasks must be submitted and an overall minimum pass mark of 50% is required.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- -Two fully-equipped commercial kitchens and a production kitchen incorporating a range of
facilities and commercial catering equipment
- An operational commercial training restaurant
- Online resources accessible in all classrooms and in the restaurant
- Evidence portfolios
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually