COOK408 – Culinary Operations and Professional Practices
Culinary Operations and Professional Practices
To provide students with an overview of the hospitality and catering industry, and an understanding of the professional practices, procedures, and roles in a food and beverage service operation.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1: Demonstrate knowledge of the hospitality and catering industry
2: Demonstrate knowledge of professional kitchen practices, procedures and roles.
3: Demonstrate an understanding of and apply the necessary knowledge and skills to prepare
a restaurant for service and provide customer service.
4: Maintain appropriate standards of professional behaviour and practice in the workplace.
- - Live Restaurant practice within Training Restaurant
- Restaurant practices, procedures and roles; setting, serving and clearing Lunch and Dinner
- A Themed Banquet.
- Overview of the Hospitality and Catering Industry
- Professional practices, procedures and roles, teamwork and workplace diversity in food and
- Health and Safety, food safety and security practices
- Professional behaviour and practice attributes: reliability, punctuality, communication skills,
customer service, professional appearance, and personal presentation.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Theoretical face to face and web-supported sessions including;
Lectures, tutorials, discussion, group activities, self-directed learning, practical workshops, assignments and project based learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks. To pass this module all tasks must be submitted and an overall minimum pass mark of 50% is required.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- - Two fully-equipped commercial kitchens and a production kitchen incorporating a range of
facilities and commercial catering equipment
- An operational commercial training restaurant
- Online resources accessible in all classrooms and in the restaurant
- Evidence portfolios
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.