Cookery Fundamentals 1
To enable students to develop the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills to perform a range of fundamental cookery techniques in accordance with industry standards and professional practice.
- Learning Outcomes
- 1: Apply the skills and knowledge to perform a range of fundamental cookery tasks employing
basic preparation and presentation techniques in accordance with industry standards.
2: Monitor and maintain health and safety, food safety and security practices to ensure own
safety and minimise potential hazards for customers.
3:Maintain appropriate standards of professional behaviour and practice in the workplace.
- - Health and Safety, food safety and security practices in a commercial kitchen
- Overview of the catering sector within the hospitality industry
- Essential Knife skills and maintenance
- Basic Cookery Techniques; with a focus on preparing, cooking and presenting of stocks,
sauces and soups.
- Professional behaviour and practice attributes: reliability, punctuality, communication skills,
teamwork, professional appearance, and personal presentation.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Theoretical face to face and web-supported sessions including;
Lectures, tutorials, discussion, group activities, self-directed learning, practical workshops in training kitchens and restaurant, assignments and project based learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks. To pass this module all tasks must be submitted and an overall minimum pass mark of 50% is required. .
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- - Two fully-equipped commercial kitchens and a production kitchen incorporating a range of
facilities and commercial catering equipment
- An operational commercial training restaurant
- Online resources accessible in all classrooms and in the restaurant
- Evidence portfolios
An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.