Social Services Practicum 2
To enable students to extend and integrate their knowledge, skills, values and behaviours relevant to the support worker role in the social services sector. Includes 120 hours of work placement.
- Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relevance of Te Ao Mori, the status of tangata whenua and the importance of tikanga practices in the social services workforce.
Use knowledge of diverse issues experienced by contemporary Aotearoa New Zealand society to inform own practice in the social services workforce.
Integrate knowledge, skills, behaviours, values and attitudes for support work practice in the social services workforce.
Use a reflective approach to own practice as a support worker in the social services workforce.
- -Agency Ethics
-Agency professional practice
-Privacy and confidentiality
-Identifying appropriate options for tangata whaiora to support autonomy and build resilience
-Engagement skills (including rapport building, empathy, cultural support, feedback skills, respect, commitment to partnership)
-Parameters of support worker role
-Professional behaviours including reflective practice and self-awareness, self-care and supervision, standards of appearance in the workplace
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods may involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- The portfolio is comprised of multiple components. To pass this module, students need to attempt all components and gain an overall mark of 50%. Students must also meet all the requirements of the competency-based components, including 120 hours work placement. The final grade will be based on the marks from the achievement-based components
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Resources will be supplied via Moodle at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.