COMC409 – Introduction to the Health and Wellbeing Sector
Introduction to the Health and Wellbeing Sector
To prepare students for work in the social, community, mental health and addiction, disability and health service sector.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1:Describe the different roles, responsibilities and health and safety requirements in the social, community, mental health and addiction, disability and health service sector.
2:Demonstrate an understanding of the support worker role, in the health and wellbeing sector.
3:Demonstrate the professional and ethical behaviours expected in a health and wellbeing workplace.
- -The role of the Support worker in health, community, social and disability sectors
-Introduction to relevant legislation, regulations, policies and procedures in in health, community, social and disability sectors
-Workplace health and safety requirement
-Professional behaviours including respecting others, teamwork, being punctual and dependable, prioritizing responsibilities, personal presentation, time management.
-Engaging with service users
-Confidentiality and privacy
-Cultural influences to communication - gender, ethnicity, age, ability, sexual orientation
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods may involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- Portfolio of Evidence 100
The portfolio may include any of the following components: test, assignment, presentation, live skills, examination, project or formal report. These could be group or individual assessments. The weight of the overall assessment is equally distributed across learning outcomes.
The portfolio is comprised of multiple components. To pass this module, students need to attempt all components and gain an overall mark of 50.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Resources will be supplied via Moodle at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.