BSTE503 – Feasibility and Environmental Impact
Please contact the Student Enrolment & Information Centre to determine a module's availability
Feasibility and Environmental Impact
To enable the student to develop skills and knowledge to evaluate site and building limitations including environmental impacts and sustainable methods of construction.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- May include, but not limited to, appropriate selection from the following topics:
Site limitations and existing buildings: Feasibility study - building limitations, future site use and development, evaluation of existing buildings. Overview of Resource Management Act and district/unitary plan.
Environmental impact: identification of internal and external environmental aspects and their potential impact on a range of building types, including construction methods and provision for services.
Sustainable design and construction: identify and evaluate sustainable design and construction techniques including cost implications and regulatory requirements.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Learning activities for topics may typically include practical/workshop, case studies, lectures, tutorials, field trips, group work, visiting specialists, computer simulations, web technologies, projects and self-directed learning.
- Assessment Criteria
- A portfolio is a compilation of evidence presented by the student in ways that demonstrate their acquired knowledge, competencies and capabilities. The contents of students' portfolios may include evidence of achievement from assignments, projects, tests, formative assessments, and peer assessments, self and group assessments. Portfolio of Evidence100
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- Access to Local Body Government websites and regulations
Access to NZ Standards and Building Codes and online published product data/research
May require access to virtual modelling and analysis software
- Learning Outcomes
- Identify the implications of site limitations including evaluation of existing buildings
Identify and evaluate environmental impact on building construction and services
Evaluate design and construction techniques in relation to sustainability