BIZM501 – Business Operations
To provide an overview of business operations and operational, accounting and risk management components of a business.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- 1: Compare the organisational purposes and structures of a range of organisations.
2: Investigate the principles of operations, accounting and risk management to support efficiency and effectiveness in an organisation.
3: Demonstrate professional practice attributes in a business setting.
4: Examine innovation in a business context.
- - Business entities for profit and a range of not-for-profit organisations, including but not limited
to, sole traders, partnerships, limited liability company, franchise, cooperatives, trusts, e
business, Community Organisations, Non-Government Organisations (NGOs), Government
Agencies, and Charitable Organisations.
- Environmental analysis to include an analysis of internal and external environments, SWOT,
- Introduction to the concept of value chains and competitive advantage.
- Business Operations functions
- Identifying and managing business risk
- Accounting principles and practices
- The role/importance of innovation within the business environment.
- Professional practice attributes: Effective and appropriate communication skills, professional
and ethical behaviours, cultural recognition and sensitivity; teamwork, managing self and
others, time management.
- Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Teaching will involve blended delivery methods incorporating the Moodle online delivery platform. Other delivery methods may involve theoretical and practical classes, face to face, lectures, tutorials, workshops, group activities, guest tutors, field trips, role-play, and video conferencing, as appropriate.
- Assessment Criteria
- Assessment in this module is mixed mode. The portfolio is comprised of multiple assessment tasks. Students must attempt and submit all assessments and achieve an overall pass mark of 50% across the portfolio to pass the module.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.