BILD303 – Construction Calculations
To prepare and enable students to complete simple calculations to cover familiar construction tasks.
- Directed hours
- Self directed hours
- Total learning hours
- Learning Outcomes
- Perform simple calculations and measurements to cover area, linear length, shapes, volume and angles.
Apply formulae to calculate numerical problems.
Measure materials in accordance with industry practice.
Produce quantities for projects and price projects including waste and GST.
- -Complete set tasks in sequence and to industry standard
-Read and interpret plans and specifications
-Triangles, rectangles and lengths
-Practical application of industry calculations
-Bulking factor percentages
-Select and use appropriate tools and equipment
-Produce quantities' list
-Safe work practices
- Teaching and Learning Strategi
- The primary method of delivering the learning material is Project-based Learning. The teaching and learning material may incorporate workshop activities, laboratory tasks, lectures, online research, training videos, tutor directed learning, student managed learning, individual and group work.
Assessments will be a mix of formal and informal, conducted in group and individual settings. Observational assessments will also be used where appropriate.
Regular feedback to students will be provided including assessment results.
Over the course of a series of projects, it is anticipated that students will develop the skills and knowledge to meet or exceed the learning outcomes. These projects will provide the students with the opportunity to progressively develop their confidence and proficiency.
- Assessment Criteria
- Portfolio of evidence100
Assessment in this module is mixed mode. The portfolio is comprised of multiple components. To pass this module, the student must complete and submit all components and gain a mark of at least 50 for each achievement-based component within the portfolio. Students must also meet all of the requirements of the competency-based tasks to be eligible for a final grade for this module. The final grade will be based on the marks achieved in the achievement-based tasks.
- Learning and Teaching Resource
- An extended reading list will be supplied by the tutor at the commencement of the module. This will be updated annually.